Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Strange changes in cooking time  (Read 1538 times)

Smokeshield

• Happy Cooker
Strange changes in cooking time
« on: July 12, 2019, 02:13:36 PM »
I've been cooking with Webers since 1982, and have just about cooked everything in the little cookbook that came with my original Weber (that would be one of 4). Until 2013, all my cooking was on the coast of California, then I moved to North Idaho and cooking times seem to have changed. I've been cooking chicken breast (my preferred go to for quick BBQ) and have noticed cooking at the regular time, the breasts come off the grill and they're still bloody. I've added more briquettes at different times, changed the in direct method as far as putting the coals on the sides, or banking them on one side as I've seen on America's Test Kitchen. Yesterday I cooked them for an hour and they still had some pink. I've just about decided to cook them halfway through in the oven, then put them on the grill but that seems like giving up.

Does anyone have a similar experience? We have very low humidity here, and we're at about 2300 feet elevation. I'm looking for someone who's had a similar experience before I accept that I've just been cursed. HELP!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 04:04:53 PM »
I think chicken breasts have gotten much bigger over the years. Maybe it’s just me. An easy work around is too simply cut them in half long ways (butterfly) so you have two whole breasts but half thickness. You could also pound them thinner. I don’t know about location and altitude. I’m in Indiana. They still come out perfect and juicy butterflied.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 04:07:40 PM »
Also if your coals seem starved for oxygen you can cook with the lid cracked. That will keep them cranking out the heat or at least more heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

Re: Strange changes in cooking time
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »

I would say altitude difference is probably the culprit.  I am at 160 ft altitude here in California.  When I BBQ at my friends house in Reno, NV (altitude of 4500') my charcoal lighting and cooking times are extended greatly.  Here is a great article you might find helpful:

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/topics/techniques/basics-high-altitude-grilling/
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 11:41:48 AM »
Are you using an instant read probe thermometer?
I like to make sure that I am reaching the correct internal temperature, 165°f for poultry.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 07:24:21 AM »

I would say altitude difference is probably the culprit.  I am at 160 ft altitude here in California.  When I BBQ at my friends house in Reno, NV (altitude of 4500') my charcoal lighting and cooking times are extended greatly.  Here is a great article you might find helpful:

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/topics/techniques/basics-high-altitude-grilling/

Agreed. That's your culprit. Ya' just have to adapt to the region.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.