Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Faster charcoal lighting  (Read 2682 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Faster charcoal lighting
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 06:47:57 PM »
Thanks for reporting! I haven't grilled since then so I never got to try it.

There's only one way to find out how fast 4 chimneys will light [emoji16]
I'll have to try this! Would it work even better if the top chimney is put on upside down so the vents are at the top?

Yes, it does work better. Tonight I flipped the top chimney so the vents were at the top.  Lit the briquettes, went in and set my timer for 8 minutes.  Went out at and checked at 7 minutes and the briquettes were so well lit, when I removed the top chimney, flames and sparks were shooting out of it.  I never would have thought of trying that.  Figures a Fireman would figured that out.  Thanks. 

I have two other chimneys in addition to these two.  Four chimney stack = under 5 minutes possibly?

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
I once saw an article in newspaper where the writer stated that they put the cardboard center of a paper towel roll in the center of a charcoal starter to increase airflow. It said this reduced time by 1/3 to 1/2 compared to just using chimney. I always remember this and think I will try it, but never get around to it. I guess I just figure cardboard tube would burn quickly and charcoal would collapse into space leaving air flow same as without tube.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 07:18:02 PM »

I stacked three chimneys tonight lighting my charcoal.  At the most, it may have shaved another 30 seconds off the lighting time or it could have been that I used Weber briquettes tonight vs Kingsford the last time.  Think I'll stay with the double stack.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 08:06:26 PM »
“So, how did the fence catch fire again?”

“Well, there were these six foot flames, then, shit, ... “

I’ve used a four foot section of 4” duct. Sends smoke higher, and then really pulls air thru.
Dude, relax your chicken.

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 09:43:01 PM »
Definitely works. I had these taller ones made for me. Significantly faster due to height.

Standard height generic Aussie brand for comparison

Hollando

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 03:15:35 AM »

Definitely works. I had these taller ones made for me. Significantly faster due to height.

These are awesome

-H

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 03:57:50 AM »

Damn @bear those are bad ass chimneys
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 04:25:54 AM »

I knew before this was done we were going to see some kind of wild homemade chimney and you didn't disappoint.  haha.  They do look killer though.  Do those hold about the same amount as a regular chimney or more?  Next I almost expect someone to have custom made chimney with a 6 foot stack and a gas burner underneath that gets light time down to 3 minutes. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 04:40:23 AM »
Gas burner for ignition

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 05:35:12 AM »
Makes sense that it works, longer chimney for cleaner burn,  also should help to concentrate the heat in the lower chimney creating quicker start, I guess my stay last night at the holiday inn express made me a frickin scientist LOL

Lol I’ll try that if I have no wind (Wood deck) @JEBIV  You on your way to meetup?
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 06:11:23 AM »
Makes sense that it works, longer chimney for cleaner burn,  also should help to concentrate the heat in the lower chimney creating quicker start, I guess my stay last night at the holiday inn express made me a frickin scientist LOL

Lol I’ll try that if I have no wind (Wood deck) @JEBIV  You on your way to meetup?
@Shoestringshop leaving between noon and 2 07/25
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 10:03:34 AM »
Rarely use a chimney but when i do, the coals get lit  in short order using a customized 100k btu wok burner.

https://youtu.be/Q32QH3O7Z40

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »
I finally got around to trying this. It works! [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Faster charcoal lighting
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 09:18:27 AM »
Cool. I’ll have to try that sometime.

My routine is pretty polished at this point.  I light a half chimney of fresh coal and add to the used coal already in the grill.  A half chimney lights in no time and in turn doesn’t take any time to ignite the used coal I’m spreading over.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 10:35:53 AM »
I'll definitely try that next time. Thanks for sharing the tip!
Cool. I’ll have to try that sometime.

My routine is pretty polished at this point.  I light a half chimney of fresh coal and add to the used coal already in the grill.  A half chimney lights in no time and in turn doesn’t take any time to ignite the used coal I’m spreading over.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app