Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Porchetta on the CGA  (Read 570 times)

Kain

• WKC Ranger
Porchetta on the CGA
« on: June 30, 2019, 06:23:42 PM »
1st time I’ve done anything like this and can safely say it will be happening again.
With the pork belly ready to roll and the herbs herbs all chopped ( rosemary, oregano and sage). We put in 2 pork tenderloins, garlic, apple sauce, salt and pepper then rolled it up. Oiled and seasoned she went on the CGA rotisserie with the 250mm riser for about 2 hrs with some cherry chunks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Annie Oakley

• Smokey Joe
Re: Porchetta on the CGA
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:52:13 PM »
Nice work, Kain. That looks delicious! I'm planning to rotisserie my first porchetta on my CGA while camping this weekend.

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:55:58 PM »

Nice work, Kain. That looks delicious! I'm planning to rotisserie my first porchetta on my CGA while camping this weekend.
Good luck with it. Make sure you post the pictures up

Annie Oakley

• Smokey Joe
Porchetta on the CGA
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 01:31:09 PM »

Good luck with it. Make sure you post the pictures up

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Annie Oakley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »
Kain,

here's my first porchetta on my CGA while camping last weekend. I bought the meat at Costco and did not realize until I opened it that the pork belly had the skin removed. That was a bummer because that meant no cracklin chicharrones!

I cut the pork belly in half and filleted it and one of the pork tenderloins. I hit them with kosher salt and coarse black pepper and rolled them up with fresh chopped rosemary, sage, thyme, garlic, and lemon zest. Because I was lacking the skin, I rubbed the tied up pork bomb with a bit more salt, pepper, and some garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika for more flavor.

I set up the CGA with a snake stacked two high. I kept the charcoal separated with 3 mini foil trays. The top lip of the trays was too wide and interfered with the charcoal so I cut the top 1" or so off of each one and filled them with water to keep a low and steady temperature. I tossed some apple wood chips in there, dropped the diffuser in, plugged in the pork, stuck a thermometer probe through the top vent at the opposite end of the fire, and let her roll.

I put it on at 4:08 PM and I pulled it off 8 hours later at 12:10 AM when the pork's internal temp hit 147* (thank goodness all of the camping coolers were filled with ice and beer!). The CGA held a steady 200* temperature for almost the entire cook. It was at 175* for the first two hours with one of the bottom vents cracked open on the wind side, but moved up to 200* when I cracked open the bottom vent on the same side. One top vent was wide open because of the thermometer probe and I kept the other one completely closed.

The porchetta was delicious and enjoyed immensely by all of the nocturnal campers in our group, but I know it would've been so much better if it had the super crispy skin. Also, the next time I try this, I will open the vents more to increase the temperature up to 250-300* or so.

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 02:27:20 PM »

Kain,

here's my first porchetta on my CGA while camping last weekend. I bought the meat at Costco and did not realize until I opened it that the pork belly had the skin removed. That was a bummer because that meant no cracklin chicharrones!

I cut the pork belly in half and filleted it and one of the pork tenderloins. I hit them with kosher salt and coarse black pepper and rolled them up with fresh chopped rosemary, sage, thyme, garlic, and lemon zest. Because I was lacking the skin, I rubbed the tied up pork bomb with a bit more salt, pepper, and some garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika for more flavor.

I set up the CGA with a snake stacked two high. I kept the charcoal separated with 3 mini foil trays. The top lip of the trays was too wide and interfered with the charcoal so I cut the top 1" or so off of each one and filled them with water to keep a low and steady temperature. I tossed some apple wood chips in there, dropped the diffuser in, plugged in the pork, stuck a thermometer probe through the top vent at the opposite end of the fire, and let her roll.

I put it on at 4:08 PM and I pulled it off 8 hours later at 12:10 AM when the pork's internal temp hit 147* (thank goodness all of the camping coolers were filled with ice and beer!). The CGA held a steady 200* temperature for almost the entire cook. It was at 175* for the first two hours with one of the bottom vents cracked open on the wind side, but moved up to 200* when I cracked open the bottom vent on the same side. One top vent was wide open because of the thermometer probe and I kept the other one completely closed.

The porchetta was delicious and enjoyed immensely by all of the nocturnal campers in our group, but I know it would've been so much better if it had the super crispy skin. Also, the next time I try this, I will open the vents more to increase the temperature up to 250-300* or so.

Wow that looks amazing! Shame the skin wasn’t there for the crackle. I’ve never done a snake in the CGA but will be trying this next time for sure.