Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib-O-Lator  (Read 720 times)

wba1949

• Smokey Joe
Rib-O-Lator
« on: June 27, 2019, 09:38:24 AM »
Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen! I recently picked up a Weber rotisserie for my 22" herd  and was looking for options available to do ribs. I know a slab can be successfully threaded on the probe, but I'm usually doing more than one at a time.  I really like the looks of the Rib-O-Later but have seen varying opinions of it's abilities to perform seemlessly with our Webers. Anyone have input concerning their experiences with rotating racks of different manufacturers? Thanking you in advance for feedback!  Bill

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: Rib-O-Lator
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 10:09:31 AM »
I've seen some mention that the racks of Rib-o-lator can wind up falling out ruining things.

I've always wondered why rotisserie ribs instead of just using a rib rack.  Do they somehow come out "better"?

Seems like you could do more with a rack, easier, & nothing to really fail.  But, I've never actually cooked ribs on a barbeque. 
regards,
Hal

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 11:12:09 AM »
I have one and never had a problem with it other than the time it takes to clean it.  I probably have not used it in 5 years due to the hassle.

wba1949

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 11:18:31 AM »
Of course I'm no "Rib Pro" but the theory is the rotisserie eliminates the grill cold spots and the ribs stay tastier by virtue of self basting.  If all goes well with a rotisserie rack, you should be able to "set it and forget it" other than an occasional apple juice spritz to keep them moist.  More cooking involved as opposed to primarily convection smoking.  A 4 hour rib grilling can be accomplished in an hour and a half or so.  Like I said, I'm no pro, but I like some of the advantages I see upgrading to a "rib-go-round" of sorts.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 12:11:58 PM »
@wba1949  Tell you what. I have a set I'll send you for free if you pick up the postage. Then you can try it out for yourself. It's not new, but it's clean. I'm not much of a gadget guy, but I do use the roti itself for all the usual stuff. The only thing you have to agree to is to use it, take pics, and make me sorry I gave it up. If you hate it, pass it on...

PM me your address and I'll dig it out this weekend.

Marty
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:13:41 PM by 56MPG »
Retired

wba1949

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 12:18:42 PM »
Marty.  Let's do this thing!  address is Bill Allen, 2511 47th Ave, Rock Island, IL  61201. I'll send back the postage and post pictures.  Thanks  Marty!

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »
Was thinking about this aswell!! Ready for the report!!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 04:27:57 PM »
I have one and never had a problem with it other than the time it takes to clean it.  I probably have not used it in 5 years due to the hassle.

EXACTLY!  Two years since I used mine.  It is a giant PITA to clean thoroughly. 
Another negative is, it simply doesn't hold the average set of ribs without a lot
of trimming and cutting.
On a positive note, if you play Round and Round by RATT in the background
and shoot a short vid for facebook, you will get about 300 likes.   ;D

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 05:14:43 PM »
I only use my roti twice a year because I hate cleaning it and it’s not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 05:15:34 PM »
However, i look forward to the input as well. It’s always fun trying new things.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 06:06:36 AM »
Agreed, it’s a pain to clean and a bit on the small side for ribs. I only use mine a couple of times a year for chicken bombs.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 08:53:05 AM »
Shipped it out today Bill. USPS Priority mail. I'll PM you with the info.

Marty
Retired

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 11:59:38 AM »
i bought one, tested it, after some finaglin got it to spin without hitting the sides of the ring. Its sad to think that a little more R&D and subtract 1" would have made a huge difference. I did nachos in mine and had foil lined the trays... I want to use it again, just not sure when. and yes, it looks a little short to get a rack of ribs on, but then again I don't do ribs.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 09:50:06 PM »
You guys really are a great bunch of folks [emoji106]

One day when that itch to own a colour WGA gets too much to withhold, I'm going to recruit the lot of you for help to hunt one down [emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 06:22:39 AM »
I would have sent that address in a private message... Just sayin. Can you edit that out?

That is super cool @56MPG for you to do that! In gonna shit myself if I ask about something someday and that happens lol. I was offered a free black birth year kettle once, but I declined due to shipping.