Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What is the best charcoal set up for smoking wings on a 22" Kettle  (Read 1125 times)

Izmosis

• Happy Cooker
So, I'm looking into finding the best charcoal set up for smoking wings. I've been using the snake method for ribs. But was thinking about buying the slow n sear charcoal baskets. What are the positives and negatives for using  the charcoal baskets?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
This can get kind of touchy as there are some very passionate people on each side of the fence (SnS vs Snake Method). My personal results are that the snake method delivers more constant temperatures without heat spikes.

For wings I’m not sure if it matters all that much. They would have to be really neglected to turn out dry and bad tasting.

Kettles aren’t like ovens, you’ll have some temp swing both ways. Best advice I can give for anyone smoking is aim for a temperature range. I like 250-275. If I’m in the range I can relax and have fun cooking.

My experience with the SnS is you have to keep the water level full and start with only a few lit briquettes. The snake is pretty much set and forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I prefer wings cooked at higher temperatures. You can still add a small chunk of wood and get the desired smoke flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
I prefer wings cooked at higher temperatures. You can still add a small chunk of wood and get the desired smoke flavor.

Me too. And I do that with the "Vortex"...

jmike314

• WKC Brave

What he said.
I’ve used full Weber baskets with one to each side of the kettle and cooked wing in between them.
I’ve also recently got a vortex and have since made wings around it.
In both cases, I’ve added wood to the grate above the fire and gotten good smoke on the wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
“Crying is for little girls, babies, and men who just had their ears ripped off.” - Oobedoob Benubi

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ

X2. That's the only way IMHO... The Vortex is the only way to cook wings!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:29:31 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

greenweb

• WKC Performer

X2. That's the only way IMHO... The Vortex is the only way to cook wings!

x3

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: What is the best charcoal set up for smoking wings on a 22" Kettle
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 04:35:17 AM »
yep, hot hotter hottest, then eat
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Izmosis

• Happy Cooker
I ended up getting the baskets, and filled them both up up to the top, layered the wings out in the middle. They turned out pretty good. Everyone seemed to enjoy them. Thanks everyone for input. 
Love this forum. 

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 06:58:12 AM »
yep, hot hotter hottest, then eat

Yep, Yes, and Yessiree
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

wgjones3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 06:25:44 PM »
When I have wings to cook, my plan is Weber baskets in the middle and wings arranged in a ring around them.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
What is the best charcoal set up for smoking wings on a 22" Kettle
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 11:15:56 PM »
Fire baskets or Vortex in the middle and let the shape of the kettle push the heat to the outside edges makes for perfect wings IMO.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:22:12 PM by foshizzle »

socal-griller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 12:09:41 AM »
Yup. Vortex. But with the GBS grate (center removed). Wings around the ring and easy access to the Vortex.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 12:13:23 AM by socal-griller »

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 08:10:50 AM »
I didn't take a pic of the cook and only have a quick pic of the last 2 wings left, because I texted it to my buddy to show him.  These came out fantastic, everyone ate them so fast it was kind-of unexpected.  I used an offset (no SNS) by just placing a rolled up piece of foil to keep the charcoal to one side, a foil drip pan under the wings with some water in it and laid out the wings for LnS.  Rub was a basic BBQ rub, nothing special.

Once I got my 22 to about 225 to 250 degrees stable, I placed the wings with space on the offset side.  Here's some points for the rest:

- Light coat of olive oil then liberal use of rub to coat all sides, let sit for 30 min while getting temp set.
- After about 1.5 hours, did a light baste with melted butter
- After about 2.5 hours, did a 2nd light baste with melted butter
- At 3.5 hours, did a baste with bourbon bbq sauce
- 15 min later, did a 2nd baste with bourbon bbq sauce and plated the wings just under 4 hours.

Hopefully the pic worked, the 2 wings in the pic are how they all looked.  The split breast was done on a different set up.  Same rub/sauce though.