Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Run on KettlePizza  (Read 1486 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
First Run on KettlePizza
« on: June 15, 2019, 07:56:18 PM »
Finally picked up a KettlePizza off CL. At only $65 for the Serious Eats Kit with baking steel and several other accessories, (not to mention a 22.5” that I plan to flip for $30-$35) I couldn’t pass it up.

Fired it up this evening, and although we learned quite a few things for the next run, I was pretty happy with the results. The kids were too!

I can’t wait to try the KP insert with some other hi-temp cookable foods. Anybody have any suggestions? Something you’ve tried with good results? Steak? Chicken? Etc.

-Jed
-Jed

dogman

• WKC Brave
Re: First Run on KettlePizza
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 05:17:45 AM »
Good golly that looks grate!
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

griz400

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 01:55:03 PM »
Damn good looking pies .. that 3rd one with the veggies turned out the best I think ... I usually have my temp around 400 - 450 though ... try just like 1 chimney almost full ... let it burn down just a little then make em .. the crust will come out just golden brown like the last one you made ... nice job though ... check out baum grillin on u tube ... he has a super dough recipe as well ....

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 03:32:15 AM »
Good looking pies
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 04:54:35 AM »
Thanks guys. @griz400 I’ll definitely check out that YT channel. I’ll try the lower temp idea as well. I was under the impression that for pizza you had to get the temps up around 7/800* or it wouldn’t cook quickly enough to come out right, no?

-Jed
-Jed

ocmulgee2053

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 05:54:41 AM »
To Jed. I made that mistake in my Weber pizza cooking. I was making NY style dough and was using high Neapolitan oven temps. This combo is not ideal. My dough cooks great with my temps around 550 F. I have had my Weber pizza maker set aside until the outside temps are warm enough for a good outside pizza cook. This Weekend I will do my first 2019 Weber pizza cooking.Good Cooking.
Mike

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 06:06:37 AM »

I was making NY style dough and was using high Neapolitan oven temps. This combo is not ideal.

Ahhhh, thinner crust requires lower temps. That makes sense. Thanks!

-Jed
-Jed

randy

• WKC Ranger
First Run on KettlePizza
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 03:15:53 PM »
You’re gonna love it, making pizzas for family and friends is my favorite thing to do on the grill. We went camping the other week, I beat my record and made 14 pizzas/garlic bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:17:30 PM by randy »

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
Thanks @randy that looks like a winning pie to me!

So for NY-style crust, I’ll shoot next time for about 450-550* if possible. And you get that by doing around 3/4 chimney of briquettes? No hardwood chunks or anything?
I might have to toss in one or two chunks if I can’t get up to 450 ambient. (I’m at around 5K feet near Boulder, and the thin air can be a problem sometimes.)

-Jed
-Jed