Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: what do you have for Hi Fi?  (Read 582 times)

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
what do you have for Hi Fi?
« on: June 12, 2019, 03:18:45 PM »
I've not got anything too extreme.

for headphones:
- Stax SR-2170's (earspeakers & amp)
- HiFiMan HE-3xx (Massdrop special)
- HiFiMan HE-4xx (Massdrop special)

for speakers:
- Kanto YU6 & Sub8
- Bang & Olufsen s9's (or s8's...can't recall exactly)

for gear:
- Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC
- Audioquest Jitter Bug (USB pre-filter for USB DAC's)

my speakers are all powered, so no need for an amp at this time.

I used to have a subscription to Tidal, but currently using just Spotify for now. I have no interest...time or space, for that matter, for vinyl, so live with digital.  :) 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:54:15 AM by Marzipan »
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

JPotter

• WKC Brave
Re: what do you have for Hi Fi?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
Me either I haven't upgraded in a while lol.

Harman Kardon AVR
Bi ampable  Polk Audio RT 55 i's
Polk cs400i
Polk fxi 50 bipole/dipole
Velodyne SPL 1200
Older stuff still sounds really good
I also have a Dennon Avr with HDMI switching better for movies

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 06:07:05 AM »
A bunch of miscellaneous stuff.

I've got a pair of Kef Concerto speakers in the living room being driven by a Pioneer home theatre receiver.  I've got everything tweaked out so it actually sounds pretty good but it isn't my first choice.  In the basement, I have a pair of parts units Concertos that I've got in case anything goes wrong with the pair in the living room hooked up to the A output on a 1970s receiver along with a pair of small B & Ws on the B output in another area.  Again, not ideal.

Time and money permitting, I need to go through a pair of Dynaco MK IV's and a Scott 130 preamp that I've been sitting on and put those back in the living room alongside the home theatre receiver and some switching so I can go between a TV watching setup and a music playing setup easily.  The basement, I'm toying with building amplification of my own or taking a bashed up, destroyed tube integrated and turning it into a sleeper integrated/pre/power amplifier by tapping the circuit off in a few places.

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:52:39 AM »
come time and finances, I hope to get some Kef LS50's or maybe the Kanto Tuk...if they ever get released. they were expected to be out April/May and there's nothing out there, nor word on when they'll be available. 

how many of you use headphones? I got the SR-2170's for a great price...$850 CAD and if you listen to instrumental or vocal music, they are the bees knees. my friend ridiculed me for spending so much, not knowing his ignorance...had him sit down and listen to one of his favorite songs from some games he plays and his jaw did hit the floor. he stared at me wide eyed and said, 'I understand now'.

like the difference between the HE-3xx and HE-4xx...dynamic earphones vs planar magnetic. the planar are so much better...brought so much more life to music I had been blown away by in the HE-3xx when I got them initially (compared to the junk I used before).

so really, yes it is worth spending $1000 on a pair of headphones. there are massive changes in audio quality (even with 320kbps MP3 sources) as you go up the price ladder. that applies to even the tone deaf. however, after $1000, it gets a bit harder to justify unless you have the money or value quality sound that much. I listened to the Sennheiser HD800's ($1600), considered the very best dynamic headphones in the market...and then listened to the  higher spectrum of the mid-level planar magnetic ($2000) Audeze LCD2's and the Sennheisers were left wanting in the extreme. I'm tone deaf, so never thought I would actually have an ear to detect differences at these levels of quality. I have learned there is so much more to audio than deep bass making your body vibrate so much you'll have a heart attack.

so now the LCD2's are on my radar...I'm done with dynamic. just have to find a buyer for my HiFiMan HE-3xx as I don't uye them since getting the 4xx!
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 02:12:28 PM »
Mine is 30 yrs old.
I have NAD 2150 power amps bridged, with Klipsch KG3 speakers. Bang & Olufsen linear tracking turntable . Had Magnaplanar speakers at one time, but I blew those out... couldn't handle the bass wattage. Also a NAD tuner, pre amp, still have a Dual 505 turntable that I don't use anymore.