Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grate-Cleaning Heresy!  (Read 1711 times)

pwcopy

• Happy Cooker
Grate-Cleaning Heresy!
« on: June 11, 2019, 11:24:32 AM »
As there is nothing new under the sun, cold cleaning enameled cast iron grates has probably been mentioned before. My discovery of the practice came about recently, having just purchased a new set of OEM grates for my Q3200 LP. In my search for a way to keep them clean without damaging them, I stumbled upon a selection of Char Broil cool-clean brushes. The technique and the premise behind cool-clean sounded good to me; especially the part about not damaging the enamel coating on the grates. So I bought a 3X360 cool-clean brush, described as follows: “Rugged industrial-grade nylon bristles that never rust.  Effective, grit-infused bristles clean both the top and side surfaces of your grill grates. The durable, lab-tested bristles exceed 50,000 cycles without breaking to deliver long-lasting & high-quality cleaning of your grille.” I've only used it a few times, but it cleans well. Time will tell if the grates last longer than the 5 years since I first bought the Q.

Gregfosterid

• Happy Cooker
Re: Grate-Cleaning Heresy!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 09:28:37 PM »
The brush you bought, I think it's good for cleaning. I also know several people who clean their grill with a wooden special tool. But it seems to me absolutely short-lived and less effective.

You can still try this Kona Bristle Free Barbecue Brush. Compared to the other grill brushes in its category, this bristle-free model from Kona is 125 percent more durable. It promises to last five times longer than a regular grill brush. Even more remarkable, the bristle-free design of this unit means there is no need to be worrying about small pieces of metal falling into your cooking grates. Even after preparing sticky meats and foods, it still doesn’t leave any mess on your burner.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Grate-Cleaning Heresy!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 07:52:55 PM »
Speaking of heresy, I find that not cleaning my grates, and burning the pip out of them the next time I grill, before food on, works great. Of course I brush them down before adding the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:54:32 AM by bbqking01 »