Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs three ways test  (Read 2082 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Ribs three ways test
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »
I can’t believe I’m admitting this but it’s worth it to do low and slow. The flavor was incredible and so was the texture. The only draw back is I couldn’t handle them or serve them without falling apart. It didn’t seem to bother anyone but me.

However, hot and fast and hung ribs are still incredible.

Kind of like pizza, you might have a favorite but you still have to mix it up once in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ribs three ways test
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 05:45:31 PM »
If I’m serving ribs to a crowd, I’m still doing hot and fast. Super tender but stays together better for serving.

jmike314

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 05:46:40 PM »
Good stuff.
Thanks for putting in the work.
I’m sold on Hot&Fast.....comes out just the way I like them. Taste great every time.
However, the other 1/2...she prefers the super tender, falling off the bone low-slow-long cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
“Crying is for little girls, babies, and men who just had their ears ripped off.” - Oobedoob Benubi

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 05:49:58 PM »
Very nice...I still like low and slow...
I've been told my best ribs were half fast...
I don't know what that means...

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 06:08:29 PM »
Nice test. Thanks for sharing!

Most people like them when they fall off the bone, but for me those are a little past where I prefer them.

Im in the hot+fast/hanging camp: haven’t cooked ribs under 275 degrees in over 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 07:10:36 PM »
Hey bud, if you want low and slow but not fall off the bone then try without wrapping. Do a test with two racks low and slow one wrapped and one naked. I never wrap my ribs and they are bite through tender, clean bones but not falling apart. I don’t like them or want them falling apart.  Looks like a fun time was had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 07:43:35 PM »

Hey bud, if you want low and slow but not fall off the bone then try without wrapping. Do a test with two racks low and slow one wrapped and one naked. I never wrap my ribs and they are bite through tender, clean bones but not falling apart. I don’t like them or want them falling apart.  Looks like a fun time was had.

I will definitely try that. One wrapped and one not. I could also hang then wrap. Lots more testing possible.

How long do your unwrapped take?

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 07:49:14 AM »
Here's my preference for ribs.  Favorite to least favorite.

1-  Hot & fast direct/semi-direct.
2- Low & slow indirect.
3- Hot & fast indirect.
4- Low & slow direct.

By far low & slow direct is my least favorite. Maybe it has to do with the charcoal being not hot enough to properly burn off the drippings, which in turn produces and add an undesirable smoke flavor to the meat. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2019, 08:42:33 AM »

I will definitely try that. One wrapped and one not. I could also hang then wrap. Lots more testing possible.

How long do your unwrapped take?

I changed over to St. Louis cut and they've been going at least 5 hours but it varies depending on the rack.  I do the toothpick test and when I get it in nice and easy with a little tug pulling out I put them on a cookie sheet and let them rest for about 20 minutes.  One time I forgot and they went longer and were more tender than I liked but my wife was super happy.  Ribs are so fun to cook.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 10:22:47 AM »
This is an awesome post. Thanks for taking the time to share the results! Looking forward to the next test! For the record I also like to do my ribs low and slow unwrapped the entire time and they come out as @kettlebb said

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 10:25:02 AM »
I just want to be a taste tester
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 11:39:57 AM »

This is an awesome post. Thanks for taking the time to share the results! Looking forward to the next test! For the record I also like to do my ribs low and slow unwrapped the entire time and they come out as @kettlebb said

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Your welcome. I really enjoy side by side comparisons. Looking forward to trying the unwrapped low and slow next.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Ribs three ways test
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2019, 11:41:42 AM »

My buddy who happened to be close by when he called couldn’t get there fast enough when he heard I had three racks cooking. He was glad to be a participant.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »

I also want to be a taste tester... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
All three look good. I tried a similar experiment last summer and included some sous vide ribs. My wife prefers falling off the bone, I prefer bite off the bone. We settled with a compromise of a 3-hour hang, 2-hour crutch, and a final sear with a glaze.