Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2-22s vs a 26  (Read 16568 times)

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
Re: 2-22s vs a 26
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 05:22:49 PM »
All put together

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yankeefan303

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »
Wow she went all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 01:42:27 AM »
Wow she went all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Yeah, shes a great one! I've always said I hit the lottery with her.

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 11:57:06 AM »
Well, just ordered my second crimson premium, I just happen to be on the bbq guys site, and they only had 7 left, and wife definitely wants both to be the same color for my table project.

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 03:54:01 AM »
That's awesome!  And I'm sure it is going to be extra-awesome once you get your setup all complete.  Your deck/property look great too. 

I have a few comments that you may want to give some serious thoughts to.  First... the "two kettle table builds" I've seen end up being fairly large if they're going to have useful table space.  (Presumably in the middle.)  A mistake I see is that people don't want their table to be huge... then they stick the kettles too close together and end up with inadequate table space.  Then... they really just have a huge double kettle stand.  They needing a small side table to actually make everything work.  If you think of the fact that when you're going to use both kettles... you're going to need adequate space to theoretically do two cooks at the same time.  If you're doing veggies on one and meats on the other, you'll be using two trays/pans, etc.  Just something to think about as you build.

Second concern:  You're going to love your kettle pizza.  I've got one, and my family (and my extended family) LOVES it.  It is a blast, and the pizzas are great, and it is super fun for family events.  However... I'd have slight concern with a table build and a kettle pizza.  I'd suggest you use that Kettle pizza a couple of times before you decide on your table build.  You are going to get your kettle BLAZING HOT to make that thing work best.  Probably as hot as kettles will get.  I put two chimneys of fully lit charcoal, several small logs... and try to get that stone 600-700+.  I've seen 900 deg readings in the internal with my laser thermometer.  It will put out smoke/heat that discolors your kettle a bit every time (it can be cleaned up with fine steel wool).  So, you're going to want to consider whether you really want that thing in a 'nice' table for kettle pizza use.  If so, you're going to want to ensure you really consider your insulation gap (or whether you want to spring for some of the aftermarket install kits that have a stone ring for install).  I'd say you'll get the idea once you fire up that kettle pizza.  You might not run it as hot as I try to... but just make sure you try it a few times to get an idea.   p.s.  Get a HEAVY DUTY STONE if you don't have one... I cracked 2 standard ones the first time we used the kettle pizza.  You need a beastly stone.

Speaking as a guy who has had several setups... you might want to consider a really, really nice SINGLE kettle table build... with a large amount of space on your table.  Then just set second kettle (on its legs) on the other end of the table.  Your workspace will be in between... and as a practical matter, it will cook the same.  It isn't a huge drawback to have the 2nd kettle a couple inches lower than your table (and you can extend the legs relatively easily, FYI... or replace with some mastertouch legs).  The single table with 2nd freestanding kettle will still be impressive and a great setup... still will look really nice... and will be more versatile with more options should you ever decide to change the deck around.  You'll probably find you don't use the double kettle setup all the time.  (And you can store the other one in the garage when not in use?)

Just some thoughts.  Congrats on your awesome new gear!  Now... just get yourself that 26er, and you'll be all set!  (It's going to happen eventually anyway... lol...)

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 04:45:24 AM »
That's awesome!  And I'm sure it is going to be extra-awesome once you get your setup all complete.  Your deck/property look great too. 

I have a few comments that you may want to give some serious thoughts to.  First... the "two kettle table builds" I've seen end up being fairly large if they're going to have useful table space.  (Presumably in the middle.)  A mistake I see is that people don't want their table to be huge... then they stick the kettles too close together and end up with inadequate table space.  Then... they really just have a huge double kettle stand.  They needing a small side table to actually make everything work.  If you think of the fact that when you're going to use both kettles... you're going to need adequate space to theoretically do two cooks at the same time.  If you're doing veggies on one and meats on the other, you'll be using two trays/pans, etc.  Just something to think about as you build.

Second concern:  You're going to love your kettle pizza.  I've got one, and my family (and my extended family) LOVES it.  It is a blast, and the pizzas are great, and it is super fun for family events.  However... I'd have slight concern with a table build and a kettle pizza.  I'd suggest you use that Kettle pizza a couple of times before you decide on your table build.  You are going to get your kettle BLAZING HOT to make that thing work best.  Probably as hot as kettles will get.  I put two chimneys of fully lit charcoal, several small logs... and try to get that stone 600-700+.  I've seen 900 deg readings in the internal with my laser thermometer.  It will put out smoke/heat that discolors your kettle a bit every time (it can be cleaned up with fine steel wool).  So, you're going to want to consider whether you really want that thing in a 'nice' table for kettle pizza use.  If so, you're going to want to ensure you really consider your insulation gap (or whether you want to spring for some of the aftermarket install kits that have a stone ring for install).  I'd say you'll get the idea once you fire up that kettle pizza.  You might not run it as hot as I try to... but just make sure you try it a few times to get an idea.   p.s.  Get a HEAVY DUTY STONE if you don't have one... I cracked 2 standard ones the first time we used the kettle pizza.  You need a beastly stone.

Speaking as a guy who has had several setups... you might want to consider a really, really nice SINGLE kettle table build... with a large amount of space on your table.  Then just set second kettle (on its legs) on the other end of the table.  Your workspace will be in between... and as a practical matter, it will cook the same.  It isn't a huge drawback to have the 2nd kettle a couple inches lower than your table (and you can extend the legs relatively easily, FYI... or replace with some mastertouch legs).  The single table with 2nd freestanding kettle will still be impressive and a great setup... still will look really nice... and will be more versatile with more options should you ever decide to change the deck around.  You'll probably find you don't use the double kettle setup all the time.  (And you can store the other one in the garage when not in use?)

Just some thoughts.  Congrats on your awesome new gear!  Now... just get yourself that 26er, and you'll be all set!  (It's going to happen eventually anyway... lol...)
I really appreciate your input, as I do have a fairly large deck, I plan on a pretty large table, as I too have noticed most that is see are too small in the center usable space. I have used the kettle pizza twice already, it does get blazing hot, however I have another question for you. I only use 1 full chimney of coal, and 2 small pieces of apple wood (I have apple trees) and have no issue getting the kettle to 650 degrees, and cooks the pizzas in 3-1/2 to 4 minutes.  I've also given some thought to those install rings, but cant seem to make a decision. And yes, that thing puts off some heat when using the kettle pizza, and I have given though to the single table build and leaving the other as well. But I keep going back to the double. Do you think any kind of flashing would benefit? Maybe line the inside of the cut out, and inside of the frame supports for each kettle?

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 04:52:15 AM »
And here are the pizzas, did one Thursday
Night, and one last night. Typical pepperoni  and sausage, and the second is a BBQ chicken

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2019, 06:24:57 AM »
This guy had some really good input on the pizza kettle in terms of the heat and doing double carts.  If you really want to build carts for everything I would look at doing a double kettle table with the kettles closer together and maybe design some flip up side tables that are like 24 by 24 (or longer).  This would allow you to tuck it away the side tables when not in use.  Also make sure you get some beefy casters so it isn't a bear to move.  You won't want it too close to the house or deck rails when in use either. 

For the Kettle pizza it might be wise to make a set up where the kettle sits on top of a riser or low countertop.  Don't use your pretty Crimson kettles for this.  A saw you still have your black kettle.  Keep that one for the kettle pizza and anything else that might be rough on a kettle with high temps and etc.  The reason I think the riser or low counter top is a good idea is that it brings the opening of the kettle more high belly or low chest.   When you are cooking it is easier to see the pizza and maneuver it around.  You wouldn't need to make a table around it so no worry about the heat coming off of it.  Just make a set up that will allow you to hook the wheels/bottom tray or shortened legs to the riser/countertop.  Then if you tear the heck out of the kettle with the heat and chipping the surface when moving things on and off the kettle you can just find another discount or used kettle to replace it with. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 06:41:29 AM »
This guy had some really good input on the pizza kettle in terms of the heat and doing double carts.  If you really want to build carts for everything I would look at doing a double kettle table with the kettles closer together and maybe design some flip up side tables that are like 24 by 24 (or longer).  This would allow you to tuck it away the side tables when not in use.  Also make sure you get some beefy casters so it isn't a bear to move.  You won't want it too close to the house or deck rails when in use either. 

For the Kettle pizza it might be wise to make a set up where the kettle sits on top of a riser or low countertop.  Don't use your pretty Crimson kettles for this.  A saw you still have your black kettle.  Keep that one for the kettle pizza and anything else that might be rough on a kettle with high temps and etc.  The reason I think the riser or low counter top is a good idea is that it brings the opening of the kettle more high belly or low chest.   When you are cooking it is easier to see the pizza and maneuver it around.  You wouldn't need to make a table around it so no worry about the heat coming off of it.  Just make a set up that will allow you to hook the wheels/bottom tray or shortened legs to the riser/countertop.  Then if you tear the heck out of the kettle with the heat and chipping the surface when moving things on and off the kettle you can just find another discount or used kettle to replace it with.
Unfortunately I've already given that black kettle back to my father, it was his, he just never used it, probably still wont. I'll keep my eyes out for a cheap used kettle, or a clearance one in the fall. Do yall really think it will ruin the finish, at least between now and fall?

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 06:52:20 AM »
I think it will be alright with light usage, but I can't say that from experience.  Maybe start a thread over in the Pizza section to see if anyone has had issues or get an idea of how it wears on the kettles?  I think the largest risk is taking things on and off the rim finish and setting the lid down here or there.  It just makes it easier to drop or scrap the finish.  The heat would probably take a lot of time before it made any real damage.  I still think the riser is a better idea for the pizza kettle though.  You will appreciate it if you cook all the time with it. 

I also plan on getting a pizza kettle and 22's are easy to find.  I figured if I was going to abuse one, it might as well be a cheapo that I can part out after I cooked the heck out of it.  You can find them on facebook and craigslist all the time for $20 to $50 bucks.  You might get lucky and find a premium or master touch in that range if you are patient. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 07:24:29 AM »
Well, in a conundrum then. I already plan to move my drum smoker up on the porch as well, and If i get a dedicated kettle for pizzas, now I'm looking at 4 cookers, not sure wife will go for another kettle, she already thinks I'm nuts. I like the idea of a dedicated pizza, and it I know she wont. I guess if worse comes to worse, it ruins the finish. Question though, do yall think those stone rings would help as for protection of table, do you think the heat from doing pizzas would warp the table top in any way? I did post in the pizza forum about the finish, but now I'm starting to think about the table around it even more, it should be able to put up with the heat, right?

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
What do yall think of something like this, or also means I can move away with ease, and I dont have to worry about the mounting aspect. Top view and front view

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:37:04 AM by jeremiahmercier »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »
Put the tables on casters and add some wire trays or drawers that could slid out.  An alternative to drawers could be a paper towel holder, tool hooks, bottle opener, and etc. I would try to keep the budget down on a build like that. 

Maybe make one table first and see how much you like it?  Or Make it one larger table and be mindful of your lengths to get the most out of your lumber.  For example, try to make one table 4 feet wide so you know you can get the table top done with 4 1x6 boards. 

I wouldn't go too crazy with it because with time you might find that your needs will change.  At first you really liked the idea of essentially making a Performer cart for 2 kettles.  There might come a time when you find a Performer or they come out with a new one that you love and you will have to rethink your arrangement.  After cooking and using your equipment a while you might decide to make a whole dedicated cooking area away from your deck and start all over.  No sense putting too much money and effort into until you really really know what you want. 

For example, I was thinking just like you not that long ago running two kettles.  I had a Performer with the cart and a Premium.  I was thinking about how I could make this set up work better and be easy to roll out for large family or friend cooks.  Then a curve ball came when I found a Ranch.  Now the Performer is the small group/dinner workhorse, the Premium will eventually become the pizza kettle, and now the Ranch will be the party grill I use at home or take to events.  After the Ranch is looking great the next focus will be some fold out tables to go on one or either side of it. 

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 03:01:07 PM »
Got the second kettle

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 03:38:24 AM »
Well, in a conundrum then. I already plan to move my drum smoker up on the porch as well, and If i get a dedicated kettle for pizzas, now I'm looking at 4 cookers, not sure wife will go for another kettle, she already thinks I'm nuts. I like the idea of a dedicated pizza, and it I know she wont. I guess if worse comes to worse, it ruins the finish. Question though, do yall think those stone rings would help as for protection of table, do you think the heat from doing pizzas would warp the table top in any way? I did post in the pizza forum about the finish, but now I'm starting to think about the table around it even more, it should be able to put up with the heat, right?

It sounds like you already have a feel for the kettle pizza... and you're happy running yours not quite as hot as I do.  (Perhaps I overdo it.)

I think you'll likely be fine if you are mindful of the problem, and when you build whatever you decide on... you simply make sure you are building it in some way where you are providing a proper gap of spacing from the tabletop.  (Not sure whether stone rings are better than proper spacing... perhaps that's something to research.)

At the end of the day, this is supposed to be fun!  If you're driving yourself nuts, go with your first idea (or the one you like best)... ensuring you do your best to guard against a heat issue.  And if it ends up still being an issue... you'll find another kettle to use for your kettle pizza.