Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2-22s vs a 26  (Read 16570 times)

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
2-22s vs a 26
« on: June 01, 2019, 10:28:44 AM »
Really thinking about getting a new kettle, well, am definitely getting one. I currently use my father's old 22 original (he never used it over the 10 years he had it, so I've had it for the last 5). I like the idea of the 26, however I really like the master touch and all its options (including pizza ovens). What I'm thinking, buy 2, 1 master touch, and one original. Put the master touch legs on my father's old one, replace the grate and give back to him for what little bit he might grille. Use the shorter legs from new original on the master touch, and build a table/platform for both 22s, for simple table design and uniform height. This way I get the cooking surface of a 26 with the 2 22s, but the option to only use one when needed. Also the neverending add-ons for the 22. And another though, for longer smokes, if the coals are losing heat, get the other grill ready, and simply transfer the grate to the other grill. I'm thinking a lowboy type platform on wheels for the deck, and a nice table surface for in the middle, thought?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
Re: 2-22s vs a 26
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 10:51:23 AM »
Maybe I'd be better off buying 2 premiums, the lid holder on the MT may interfere with my center table top design, I can just buy the gourmet bbq grate. Can we get the upper rack that comes with the MT separate anywhere? Or do I buy 2 master touches and turn the lid holders to the opposite sides so as not to interfere with table surface

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 11:05:39 AM by jeremiahmercier »

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 05:21:19 PM »
I’ve got a MT and a 26er. I cook on the MT most of the time and bring out the 26er for large parties or long cooks like a pork butt. For long cooks a snake on the 26er can go 11+ hrs no problem. The 26er was a great purchase! 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 07:31:49 PM »
Thinking like that gets you Weberitis and before you know it your backyard is filled with all the options. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

tvt

• Smokey Joe
2-22s vs a 26
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 12:20:23 AM »
I was driving home one day and tapped  the brakes for what I thought was a 22.5 sitting on the curb with a ”free” sign on it. I picked it up and felt that it was much heavier and larger it was than the 22s, it was the 26er that  every owner raves about. At that point, I knew I had to own one. My 26er is my go to for all cooks. It doesn’t use any more charcoal  than my 22s, that all depends on what you’re cooking and how much.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 12:23:35 AM by tvt »

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 04:22:41 AM »
I noticed Home Depot is still selling the red limited editions, should I get those instead of the premiums, or should I just get like a cop or a green premium, any downfalls to the red finish

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 05:22:43 AM »
I noticed Home Depot is still selling the red limited editions, should I get those instead of the premiums, or should I just get like a cop or a green premium, any downfalls to the red finish

Personally I wouldn't give $199 for the red LE. I bought mine for $99 last year. I had porcelain chip off both spots where the handle goes through the lid, Weber sent me a new lid though. I'd spend $50 more and get the new coloured one at least you get the upper deck, GBS and charcoal baskets.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 07:26:07 AM »
Yeah get one of the new colors. The green ones would be cool

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 12:34:42 PM »
You've got a 22" get a 26" when placed beside a 22" it is breath taking. When I spatchcocked the thanksgiving turkey in the 22" every 30 mins I had to give the turkey a 1/4 turn to keep from burning. It came out good but damn that's too much time and attention needed. A 26" solves that.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 04:18:54 PM »
I've also got a vertical drum smoker, so smoking or low and slow are not really a concern

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 06:40:25 PM »
If you want to do the double table set up then just get two premiums.  This will give you the better ash catcher and thermometer lids that the Master Touch has.  It might not have the lid holder, but I am not a huge fan of it anyways.  If you think you like the lid holder you can always just cut the table in a way where it will work fine.  The leg height doesn't really matter as long as you are affixing the kettle to the actual table.  I believe there are two options for the brackets that can be used for attaching the kettle.  There was a guy on here that is selling them and I think also Unknown BBQ sells them.  Unknown BBQ also sells hinges for the lid if that is your game.  The one downside to the double table idea is portability.  For instance I have a 22 with a table and a premium 22 and I need to grill at another location.  I really wish I just had two regular kettles instead of one with a table for this instance. 

If it were me I would just keep an eye out for a used 22 to get by in meantime unless you absolutely love one of the new colors.  This fall/winter I would hunt for a couple premiums or better yet a 26 on clearance at the major retailers.  I found the local Wal-Mart selling 4 premiums last Feb/March for $40 each.  My only regret is that I bought 3 of them and sold 2 of them to family.  Should have got that last one just to have a spare even if I just kept it in box.  I also found my 22 with a table on clearance.  The 26 might be a harder find as a clearance though.  Currently, I have only one local hardware store that sells them in store and I have no idea what kind of stock they keep or if they even clearance them.  If you are buying something new right now try to keep an eye out for coupons that do not exclude Weber products. 

I have two 22's and to be honest I would buy a 26 in a heartbeat if I found one at a good price.  Weberitis is a real affliction.  God help me if I find a Summit cheap enough.  The wife might throw me on the lit grill if that happens. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 12:35:21 PM »
Okay, so definitely going to get two premiums, Crimson is color of choice. Fathers day is coming up hint hint. Table will be wooden, I thinking painted legs and frame to match house, and a beautifully stained top. Once I start build, I'll just start a build thread and link the two together.

Below is a picture of current setup, nothin special, moved to the front porch just because ash cleanup and removal is easier since I dont currently have a cleaner way of doin it.

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 02:32:23 PM »
Well, wife just surprised me with early fathers day gift, says I can get my second kettle next month!!! Getting ready to assemble.

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 02:35:18 PM »
Very excited

jmike314

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 02:53:09 PM »
Very excited

I’d says she’s definitely a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
“Crying is for little girls, babies, and men who just had their ears ripped off.” - Oobedoob Benubi