Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Post your cleaning methods  (Read 7773 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Post your cleaning methods
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 03:11:26 PM »
Don't laugh at this question, but has anyone ever waxed the outside of the grill?
I sprayed the outside of my '74 faded gray kettle with Pam. Actually I did the inside as well. The porcelain is pitted and there is significant rust staining. My intent was to provide some protection from further rusting. I thought the oil should harden from the heat like it does when seasoning cast iron. The Pam really darkened the color. It's not jet black like when new, but a lot darker than it was. However I've cooked on it a couple times since and the spots where charcoal was close to the bowl have started to lighten.

On other grills I just give them a shot in the rusty spots.

Hank, I just saw this. It's amazing that was the same kettle I saw on saturday.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 02:55:33 AM »
Dazzo,

The razor blade method works brilliantly. At first I was very hesitant but once I start getting into it, I really let go. I was working on the inside of the lid last night and took a quick picture. It isn't done but this shows what a razor blade alone can do for you.

DELETED the picture because the quality was crappy. :)

Oh, and my wife thinks I'm crazy. I told her how great it looks and her comment was "you cleaned it off just so you can get it dirty again."

I said "it will be MY dirt now!"

I got the 'itis' and it's gooooooooood.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:57:38 AM by Tim in PA »
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 05:20:36 AM »
Question about the razorblade method before I dig into a similar project this weekend. What direction do you run the blade?

Top to bottom?
Side to side?
Caddywampus?
All of the above?

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 06:04:50 AM »
Question about the razorblade method before I dig into a similar project this weekend. What direction do you run the blade?

Top to bottom?
Side to side?
Caddywampus?
All of the above?

I've only worked on the inside of the lid. I went both directions, outer edge to the middle of lid and middle of lid to outer edge mostly. I found it easier to get a good consistent angle by going towards the outer edge. Use a new blade and change it periodically. I started with a used blade and wish I switched it out sooner. It really does work that good!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 08:19:12 AM »
great ...great thread.  i had not seen it before.  and Addicted... thanks for the links.  that really helps.  and the pics that others put up of stuff. 

ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »
I just cleaned the inside of my lid today for the first time since I got it about 6 plus months ago. My Weber has seen heavy use and I had a pretty good layer of crud built up on the lid. It was that dry crusty kinda crud. I Did something I saw posted here on another thread... I sprayed the inside with oven cleaner and put it in a bag and left it out in the sun for a couple of hours. I rinsed it out and scraped it with a plastic bottle cap and repeated the process. After I got 99% of the crud off I took some 000 steel wool and got whatever was left ......and there was not much. I would have posted some pics but I didn't take any before pics. The inside looks pretty much like brand new again. I guess I will have to figure out how to cover it with crud again......maybe the pork butt I am doing tomorrow will help get it started....or even the pizza I'm doing tonight... ;D
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

cgaengineer

• Smokey Joe
Post your cleaning methods
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2013, 02:53:35 AM »
Cameo works great on aluminum (Publix carries it) and bar keepers friend works great on chrome and stainless.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2013, 10:38:25 AM »
I've read this thread but don't recall if someone mentioned tossing the top grill into the dishwasher, or if removing all the black is another instance of tossing it in a bag with oven cleaner. Sure isn't coming off with a wire brush.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »
I was cleaning up one of my old grey kettles last night. I couldn't find the good razor blade holder, and the cheap POS I bought wouldn't hold a blade anymore.

What to do?

I clamped a razor blade in a pair of Vice-Grips and scrapped the shit out of the bowl and lid like that. It worked really well!

As far a straight or cattywampus, when I did the lid I started in the center and worked toward the lip as far as I could. Then I started at the lip and angled my way down the side of the lid. I had some serious gunk on there. It was like I was scraping off a layer of leather.

Bought a new blade holder today, and some vice-grips that are probably better shaped for the task. Now I'm covered no matter what.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »
I was cleaning up one of my old grey kettles last night. I couldn't find the good razor blade holder, and the cheap POS I bought wouldn't hold a blade anymore.

What to do?

I clamped a razor blade in a pair of Vice-Grips and scrapped the shit out of the bowl and lid like that. It worked really well!

As far a straight or cattywampus, when I did the lid I started in the center and worked toward the lip as far as I could. Then I started at the lip and angled my way down the side of the lid. I had some serious gunk on there. It was like I was scraping off a layer of leather.

Bought a new blade holder today, and some vice-grips that are probably better shaped for the task. Now I'm covered no matter what.

.................relentless determination post of the week !!!!!

Good Show !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Dave O

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »
I an in the process of cleaning up a triangle, used steel wool 0000 on it and cleaned up nice, what should I put on top the protect it ?

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Post your cleaning methods
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2013, 07:32:20 PM »
I would think if its the triangle you would be fine with some metal polish or just hit it with clear coat paint.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer