Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Post your cleaning methods  (Read 7782 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Post your cleaning methods
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:37:27 AM »
Forgive me if this has been brought up before but I couldn't find anything. What is your tried and true method of cleaning your kettles?
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
Re: Post your cleaning methods
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:49:06 AM »
Interior or exterior?
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

sunsanvil

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 05:08:17 AM »
Both please. :)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:25:39 AM »
EVERYTHING!

Lets create a thread so everyone new and old can come to for reference.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 05:36:13 AM »
I used a combination of Greased Lightning and 0000 steel wool on both my performer and the redhead with 25 years of junk on the lid.  Worked well
and didn't flaw the finish at all.  I also rinsed frequently (when the GL was starting to dry) and just kept scrubbing.   Lather, rinse, repeat.

For the interior, any degreaser would work, coupled with a plastic putty knife .  PLASTIC!    I also use a scotchbrite pad on the interior if I need to do some scrubbing.  I think I have read that some people use an SOS pad, but that steel wool is too coarse for my liking.

The legs, pan, vents:  0000 steel wool and chrome polish.

that's how I do it.  Gassers and kettles.
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:32:46 AM »

I gave up on oven cleaner - too impatient. And I try to avoid chemicals. Don't get me wrong, I really like them (see impatient). I'm just not good with hazardous waste - I don't like the way my roses have been following me around the yard lately   :o

My number one tool is a razor blade in a retractable blade holder.

The scariest part is when you first use the blade and you see the shiney build-up peel off. "Damn, am I peeling off porcelain?". No, that's just the build-up that was stuck to it. Once I got past that fear, I became a scraping fool - in addition to a regular fool.

The Weber porcelain is beautiful and is almost bullet-proof, and the build-up, light or heavy, comes right off the inside of the bowl and lid.

Followed by a light scrubbing with water and a SOS pad. The soap lubricates as you scrub and you can feel any build-up you left behind. Rinse it off and admire your reflection.

Works great on the Genesis hood as well.

For the outside, a wipe down with soap and water, followed by 0000 steel wool. Lightly with the razor blade for tar, paint and other stubborn stuff.

For rust on the other parts, I like vinegar (distilled works) and a tool for scrubbing - Steel wool, wire brushes and wheels.

May have to try Mothers Mag on my legs and pans.

Along with an extra large can of elbow grease and some time.

Then sit back and enjoy another "R", Re-Admire   8)

Dude, relax your chicken.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Post your cleaning methods
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
Mothers mag is awesome on legs...I use it after using SOS pad or 0000 steel wool on them
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

sunsanvil

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:03:54 AM »

Remarkable would be an understatement.  That looks out-of-the-box new.  Do you not have to "curve the blade when working the inside?

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 08:22:37 AM »
I use razor blades in the retractable holder, a cheap 5-in-1 paint tool that has been formed to match the contour of the Webers, Greased Lightning, SOS pads, and ScotchBrite pads to clean the porcelain items. SOS pads also work well to remove surface rust from chrome items. A whisk broom is handy for getting ash out of the old Bar-B-Q-Kettles.
In the past I have also used a wood chisel to remove the heaviest, hardest crud from the inside of the WSM domes.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »

Could somebody post a pic of the specific Mother's Mag product that works best for the aluminium, legs, pans, etc..........not sure if I'm using the right Mother's product...... :-[
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »

sunsanvil - no curve to the razor blade, it will actually flex just a little. Hold the blade somewhat parallel with the surface and just a lot of back and forth and up and down. Don't fly around too much as the blade is sharp - I still have all my fingers thank you.

Followed by water and a SOS pad.

Dude, relax your chicken.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
I use the standard on the bowls, plastic putty knife. I will try the razor blade. Here is what I use on the ash trays to pretty good success.
BUCKIE, Mothers is pictured.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 09:39:05 AM »

Could somebody post a pic of the specific Mother's Mag product that works best for the aluminium, legs, pans, etc..........not sure if I'm using the right Mother's product...... :-[

Buckie, I use the little red and white container in the picture...always cleans up the legs and pan!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »

Thanks Greg & T L !!!!
I think what I have is a Mother's product that's more of a polish than a cleaner.....it will clean some, but I'm going to look into this furthur.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »

Thanks Greg & T L !!!!
I think what I have is a Mother's product that's more of a polish than a cleaner.....it will clean some, but I'm going to look into this furthur.....

If it helps Buckie, mine is polish also. It is my last step. Legs, SOS pad and a degreaser, second is the legs must be lightly wet and hit it the mag aluminum cleaner(30 to 40 seconds, it will etch the aluminum), light scrub with SOS pad, rinse, dry, then the Mothers Polish.