Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Found a yellow Weber at a yard sale - any idea on value  (Read 13130 times)

CABarrow

• Smokey Joe
Found a yellow Weber at a yard sale - any idea on value
« on: June 10, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
Hi - my husband wanted  a charcoal grill and I found one at a yard sale - a yellow Weber, wooden handle - in pretty good condition - the grates have some rust but it was only $15 with a bag of charcoal and a brand new charcoal starter so I figured it was worth the fifteen bucks.  Anyway - now my husband thinks it might be worth something - is it?

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Found a yellow Weber at a yard sale - any idea on value
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »
Got pics?  If its in nice shape with minimal chips and rust, it could be worth a lot more than 15.  Its something you might want to hold onto for yourself.  They don't come up very often, especially in good condition!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

jperry1907

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:00:53 PM »
Do you have any pictures of it? It's hard to say without knowing the condition and age. Yellows are pretty rare and people around here (WKC) would probably value them more than many other colors. Overall, a weber kettle probably isn't really going to be worth that much unless its very old (50's probably), an almost extinct model (Westerner, the One that looks like the well, etc.) or new in the box. Regardless, a yellow in any condition for $15 is a great deal! Clean it up and enjoy it for years! And they turn to an orangish color when they get hot!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:09:18 PM »
Definitely show some pictures. There are few owned by members and cherished. By pictures we can be close in age and size.

CABarrow

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »
I'll take some photos and post - chances are I'll keep it - once I clean up the grates it'll be a great grill and you can't buy a junky one for $15!!  I'm trying to figure out where to put the photos  :)

CABarrow

• Smokey Joe

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »
Yellow kettles are some of the rarest. People on this forum (and eBay) have spent $100 or more on just the bowl & lid in pretty poor condition. If yours is in really good shape it is easily worth $100 or more. If it is really nice I could see it going for $200 or so. Of course, they only way to find the true value is to try to sell it. You'd have a pretty good customer pool here.  ;) Most of us will tell you to keep and treasure it though.

Like others have said, please post photos of it. If you're not sure how to do that you can private message me and I will give you my personal email address. You can email the photos to me and I will post them in this thread for you.

CABarrow

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
Are you able to see the photos on photobucket?  Is there a way to post here on the site?

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »
Let me know if this works - http://s1297.photobucket.com/wouldn't have any probablrrie-Ann_Barrow/library/

Yes, it works, and yes, that is a very nice one. I know it has some rough spots, but all things considered that's really nice. Should easily be worth $150 to the right buyer. Do you plan to keep or sell it?

CABarrow

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 07:25:59 PM »
Wow, thanks!  :) 

CABarrow

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 07:26:41 PM »
Sorry - I meant to answer - for now I want to keep it - I haven't even had a chance to use it and I love the yellow!!

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 07:28:58 PM »
Sorry - I meant to answer - for now I want to keep it - I haven't even had a chance to use it and I love the yellow!!

Great! They clean up really nice with a little TLC. And like someone else mentioned, they change colors like a sunset when they're hot! Let us know if you need any help with the cleanup!

CABarrow

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 07:30:12 PM »
I'll take any and all advice on clean up!  I've been known to do some damage w/ a brillo so I'm listening!!

jperry1907

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 07:30:42 PM »
The raised weber letters and no date stamp indicate its a late 70's I think...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 07:32:59 PM »
Are you able to see the photos on photobucket?  Is there a way to post here on the site?

Place img tags around the full image's full URL. If you paste that address into your post and then highlight it there's a shortcut button right under the Bold button that will add the tags for you.

Hit the "quote" button as if to reply to this reply and you'll see the raw text I mean that pulls the image into this thread. The image's full URL is just that, starts with http:// and ends with .jpg
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch