Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone else use an "OnlyFire" pizza kit? - update  (Read 51149 times)

Peinver

• Happy Cooker
Re: Anyone else use an "OnlyFire" pizza kit? - update
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2020, 12:26:30 AM »
Hello Baylei151 I’m thinking in buying this oven. Do you recommend it yet? Is still working well ? Sorry for my english. Thanks a lot

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2020, 06:33:50 AM »
I am new to the forum, but, just ordered the only fire Stainless Steel Pizza Oven Kit from Amazon.  It is now 182 dollars with piel and stone.  At 10 dollars a pizza, I will break even at 20 pizzas..... 

I hope this is as presented.  I also am a bread baker and wanted to see if I could do sourdough on the stone.  It's all about the fire....

v/r rch

RacrX

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 08:28:25 AM »
Has anyone cooked on it yet? Will it do Neo style pizza? Pics???

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2020, 07:09:31 AM »
Mine will be in tomorrow night.  I should start reporting my Monday.  As described on Amazon, it should be about right.  I am considering how to place the fire.  I need to see the cooker.  50/50 between the slow and sear or just a straight circle around the stone itself leaving directly under the stone clear.

Hope this item is as advertised because wood fired pizza is in a class of its own. 

Thanks to all who make this forum great.
rch

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2020, 05:05:24 AM »
I got the OnlyFire in on Saturday but spent all Saturday and most of yesterday under the effect of Tropical Storm Christobal (heavy rains).  i unboxed it about an hour ago and may try a seasoning run with some temp probes and an ir gun to see what is what. 

My first observation besides the fact it is all stainless steel has the peel and the stone, is that the vents cut in the rear seem to be almost exactly sized to the Weber baskets and are at two separate positions (from 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock on the left and 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock on the right.  The rest of the plate is resting on the kettle and has no other venting out.  Between the vents at 10 and 2 is stainless steel.  The entire working surface around the stone is one continuous steel surface.  The Stone has maybe a 1/8 " gap around it for expansion.  Other than that, all heat is going to go to the plate and stone.  It then has to go into the cooking chamber where it can only exit out the front door after passing over the top of the stone.

I am going to follow what Bailey151 did for heat and use the slow and sear.

The vents have a set of cross straps that will prohibit loading wood or coal to the baskets below.  It appears to only way to recharge the fire is to lift the oven off and set it aside, service the fire, and replace the oven.  There are folding handles on each side that will make this straight forward with my performer table right there.  It Will require gloves.  I suspect the whole operation will be somewhat hazardous if one is clumsy or careless.

My initial observation is that this unit will be the "cat's a**" if it performs as I predict.  I will season the stone and test burn the oven this afternoon.  I am going to go buy briquettes for this operation.  I normally only use lump, but, I want a briquette count by Weber Basket and I am going to run a couple of probes while it burns.  If anyone is interested, I can try to take some pictures and post them as well.

thanks to all who make this forum great.
v/r rch
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 05:20:23 AM by RHOUSER »

Marbob1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2020, 11:41:10 AM »
I am totally interested since my only fire arrives Thursday. Would appreciate learning along with you.
Bob

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 04:41:16 AM »
First round with the Onlyfire:  Full chimney briquettes into Slow&Sear 2 with the empty water reservoir in place at the rear of the Onlyfire.  Temp at the back of the stone 750 +/- by ir gun.  Front of stone 650 +/-.  Thermometer on onlyfire 600. Bottom Vent full open.

Pizza was a 15" grocery store bought uncooked pre-assembled pizza.  This came with instructions for 18 -22 minutes at 450 (not a thin crust).

Outcome:  Toppings were done in about 6 minutes.  I didn't put a timer on it.  I had thrown a handful of cornmeal onto the stone just before I dropped the pizza onto the peel (with more cornmeal under the pizza on the peel for easy exit).  It took about 30 seconds for the corn meal on the stone to completely carbonize.  From about the 60 second mark I was lifting and spinning the pizza.  I ended up turning it about every 40 seconds trying to save the bottom.  Toppings (supreme) were very good, edges were good with some leopard spotting, the bottom had a 100% paper thin hard carbon finish.  It was perfectly burnt from edge to edge.  It was so thin, that the pizza cut and served like normal, but with a carbonized surface to a bottom crust that wasn't burnt inside.  I was able to eat the whole thing with only a slight notice of the carbon layer.

Finding:  If this was a thin crust, thin topping pizza, I might have pulled it off.  The heat was there top and bottom to melt the cheese and cook the toppings if they weren't layered into a 1.75 pound pizza.  It would mean dropping the pie, and starting with your peel and pizza hooks at about the 45 second mark.  The crust might have survived the 4 or 5 minute mark.

Plans:
1. Try a thin crust, thin topping pizza and spin it like a top.
2. Try half a chimney of coal and reduce the bottom vent.  See if it will settle in with the stone temp a closer to 450 front and 550 rear.
3. Consider using a single Weber basket to concentrate the footprint of the heat and not burn directly into the outlets to the upper chamber.

Overall, no downside to the unit.  It performed as designed.  Now it is strictly a matter of learning how to work the heat and the pie design itself. 

Bailey151 if you are still out there,  consider jumping in with lessons learned (fire control etc). 

v/r rch

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 04:43:39 AM by RHOUSER »

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2020, 01:28:16 PM »
We used ours for the first time this weekend.

Good quality device but we had a two pizza learning curve. Pizza 3 & 4 turned out great.

First two we made too big so crust was too thin and couldnt get it off the peel.

Thicker crusts & more cornmeal and it worked great.

Interesting to note were the differences n the kettle & onlyfire thermometers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2020, 01:28:39 PM »

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 01:30:06 PM »

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2020, 01:31:26 PM »

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2020, 03:16:14 AM »
It looks like a nice device and I like the slim profile. One question I have is in its somewhat encapsulated form factor, does the wood / charcoal smoke make it into the pizza chamber? Are you able to taste it? That is one of the key features I am looking for, that fresh fired taste from the grill / wood. Thanks.

Retired@55

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »
Just ordered the OnlyFire kettle oven today with delivery scheduled for Friday, just in time for Saturday night pizza! There’s still not much info on this accessory, at least not that I could find, but what I did find was mostly positive. I liked the lower ceiling to keep heat on top of the pizza. I saw in a several kettle pizza reviews that you either had to manually hold the pizza up into the kettle dome to get the top well cooked, or buy some additional accessory. The OnlyFire design seems to have addressed this issue. I also have the slow n sear and plan to use that, at least on the first attempt. Will report back once I’ve done some cooks with it.  Thanks for posting this - I had never even hear of the OnlyFire until I read your post!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2020, 07:43:25 PM »
Personally I wouldnt use the slow n sear with a pizza set up.  If will probably be ok, but if the high heat made it warp it is expensive to replace.  Personally I used 3 charcoal baskets and bolted them together to create a C channel for my charcoal. 

Having a pizza rig for your weber is great, but always use things that are easily replaceable because 600+ degrees is hard on everything. If you are having trouble with the tops melting you can grab a SS baking steel from kettle pizza ($100+) or a Hunsaker griddle ($50?).  Just be aware that if you use any kind of steel it will burn off any seasoning if you used it as a griddle. You could make your own i suppose, but probably not worth the effort unless you just have scrap steel plate sitting around.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Retired@55

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2020, 01:32:29 PM »
OnlyFire arrived today. Don’t you just love a package that has no assembly required?! Pizza dough is rising overnight and we’ll be cooking pizza tomorrow. Weather will be perfect: blue skies and in the 60s. I’ll report back with the results of the cook, but keep in mind that the only pizza we’ve ever “cooked” has been of the frozen variety, so keep expectations low!