Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone else use an "OnlyFire" pizza kit? - update  (Read 51147 times)

Bailey151

• Smokey Joe
Anyone else use an "OnlyFire" pizza kit? - update
« on: May 15, 2019, 01:18:49 PM »
Just picked this up off Amazon. Did a search here & didn't find anything....but....that doesn't mean much given my search skills  ;D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LC5VZWR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems like it has most of the required features *cough* like a Kettle Pizza *cough* (which I like but it is a tad pricy) - decent quality SS construction, low ceiling for equal top & bottom, & a vent in the bottom rear for heat flow. I've had decent results with just a stone on a kettle but getting the top & bottom of the pizza even can be a bit of an issue. I liked the "door" in the front to make it just a bit easier to launch & retrieve the pizza. Overall build quality is pretty good, welds are solid. Stone is a bit thin, maybe 5/8". Handles fold up & down & stay in place. Owned a Uuni 3.........don't get me started on the utter lack of engineering on that thing.

Hopefully we get some decent weather this weekend & I can give this thing a test drive.

Update:

So I got to use it yesterday & found it to be very good. The low height keeps the heat down on the pizza making very easy to get a balance between the bottom and top. The front "door" allows for easy launch and retrieval of the pizza. The vents in the rear do a good job allowing the coals to get/stay hot. The vents also do allow any flame from wood to lick up the ceiling of the "oven".......just like one would expect.

I used a full chimney of Weber w/ two chunks of oak. Put the coals in a slow & sear at the rear of the kettle. I set the OnlyFire on top and gave it 15 minutes or so to heat up. IR gun had the rear @ 700 or so and the front around 600 - might have been more even with coals in the middle instead of banked at the back.

First pizza - tried 90 seconds to turn, got a bit charred at the back & the top of the cheese had some leopard spotting (a bit too done for our taste). This told me the top & bottom would cook pretty even.

Second pizza - did one minute turns & it was perfect. Some nice leopard spotting on the bottom and the very bottom edges of the crust were just at the burn point = excellent pizza. Total cook time was 3 minutes. There was a nice wood fired taste!

So far this is the best unit I've used. Better than just a stone on a kettle (more even) and MUCH better than an Uuni (rubbish IMHO). The stone is a bit then so I have no idea about durability. On the plus side it heats up pretty quickly. The stainless is good quality and is now a nice brown color from the heat (very even brown too, no blue hot spots).

For the $125 I paid I'd give it high marks.........but factor in I'm no pizza pro  :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:06:07 AM by Bailey151 »

dogman

• WKC Brave
Re: Anyone else use an "OnlyFire" pizza kit?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 12:42:47 AM »
That looks good! Lettuce know how your pizzas come out :)
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 08:54:52 AM »
Looks promising

Keep the updates coming
Dude, relax your chicken.

Bailey151

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 01:48:44 PM »
Looks like I might be able to provide an update, first time in some 6 weeks it's not looking like rain over the weekend...........

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:07 PM »
We have a lot of weather over here too, surprisingly. We get very high winds like in central Kansas and there are times a barbecue will not stay on the ground.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 07:26:54 AM »
There’s not much info out there yet, but the more I see this, the more I’m liking it.

I’m wondering if it’ll be awkward on an 18. Or using an 18 grate in the 22 bowl to raise the heat and spread it out more. And then...

I might need to sell some kettles and buy one.
Dude, relax your chicken.

therod

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »
I've actually been eyeballing one of these for a few weeks now. What I'll probably have to do is save some credit card points, cash in some rewards, and wait 2-3 more months to acquire enough points. Looks like a pretty good rig to me.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 06:51:08 AM »
There’s not much info out there yet, but the more I see this, the more I’m liking it.

Come on Rick, buy one for the good of the Club.  You can break it in at the picnic.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Bailey151

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 04:09:42 AM »

I’m wondering if it’ll be awkward on an 18. Or using an 18 grate in the 22 bowl to raise the heat and spread it out more. And then...

I might need to sell some kettles and buy one.
Can't say how it would be on an 18.....it's designed for a 22 & it fits perfectly. It just drops right on the kettle, There is SS around the stone in the middle (which is 15").......but you might run into issues with the vents in the back - they are cut into this "deck" area.

If I get a chance I'll try to take a pic of the unit, the vents aren't really shown anywhere online.

therod

• Smokey Joe
Re: Anyone else use an "OnlyFire" pizza kit? - update
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 08:18:36 PM »
I also have a brand new 14" baking steel pizza pan that would probably fit nicely in one of these only fire pizza units...

therod

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »
I am curious though...the places I've looked, that's a $140 unit. How, or where, did you find one for $125? Not that this would stop me, but I am curious...

Bailey151

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 12:22:33 PM »
I also have a brand new 14" baking steel pizza pan that would probably fit nicely in one of these only fire pizza units...
There are 3 tabs welded inside the inner circle that hold the stone in place.....I'd bet they're big enough to hold a steel. Height wouldn't be an issue as you can open the door & access the stone/steel w/o much of an issue.

I am curious though...the places I've looked, that's a $140 unit. How, or where, did you find one for $125? Not that this would stop me, but I am curious...
On Amazon, had a click coupon = I got lucky. Went down from 139 - 125.

therod

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »
Sweet. Savings is savings. That'll pay for a few pizzas. Will just have to see if the OnlyFire can support the weight of my steel pan.

Bailey151

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »
Sweet. Savings is savings. That'll pay for a few pizzas. Will just have to see if the OnlyFire can support the weight of my steel pan.
Unless the steel is really heavy it should be fine. The bottom is a single formed piece of SS w/ a hole cut in the middle & vents in the rear. There are 3 metal tabs welded to the circle in the center......should hold a fair amount of weight.

Bailey151

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 02:36:50 AM »
Here’s a picture of the bottom. The vents are to the rear when on the grill. The tabs are welded to a ring which is in turn welded to the base.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club