Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Double decker pizza oven  (Read 7757 times)

quisquose

• Smokey Joe
Double decker pizza oven
« on: May 12, 2019, 08:43:33 AM »
Here are some photos of my double decker pizza oven, the result of about 4 years of trial and error.

1. First take my 1990 OT and cut a slot in it. This is the way it worked for some time with a regular pizza stone raised up on bricks, and I was always happy with this. But once you seek perfection, you cannot stop.
2. Bought 50cm and 40cm round kiln shelves. Cut a slot out the former for my pizza stone, and suspended the later for a lowered roof. For a while I thought this was perfection, until the stone in the lid cracked.
3. Tried a variety of other solutions in the roof, including stainless steel, hence all the bolts in the lid now. But I couldn't get the results I was getting previously.
4. Bought the Onlyfire Pizza Oven Conversion Kit. Definitely needs a roof to stop the heat escaping, so instead of using the handles provided threaded some long stainless steel rods to rest a stone or whatever on top. Bought some 5mm stainless steel sheet, cut to size with a jigsaw (need good blades) and then used the handles supplied on that so I have both a pizza oven roof and a Plancha. Well, perfection achieved again.
5. What to do with the old lid? I decided to cut some stainless steel to fill the gap, so I could use it as a regular BBQ.

Today something amazing happened. I was cooking pizza and I decided to experiment with a pizza stone on top of the roof, and the slot left on the lid on top. A two slot - double decker arrangement. Air temperatures in the bottom reached 750F and in the top 550F. Wow. Using two paddles, we would place one in the top with a fresh pizza for about 30 seconds, this would make it much easier to throw on to the stone on the bottom for about two mins.

I think I've found my pizza nirvana.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:56:48 AM by quisquose »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Double decker pizza oven
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 11:39:40 AM »

I really like the sound of all this!

I admire your creativity and fabrication.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:33:36 AM »
Well this is pretty amazing creativity. But I still have a few questions on how the toppings stay on and the crust doesn't bunch up when you're cooking beer pizza like that :P
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 02:00:25 PM »
@quisquose

Not quite certain I understand. 

1) When you start your first pizza, do you still throw it on top for 30 seconds instead of just putting it on the bottom?  If so, what does that accomplish?

2) Or, are you basically putting your first pizza in the bottom, making a second pizza quickly & putting it up top so it begins cooking before the first one is quite yet done, & then finishing it off on the bottom, & perhaps throwing a (now a third one) up top again?

Basically, are you accomplishing anything other than getting a little faster pizza cooking output?  Is there any change in taste/texture/crunchiness, or whatever? 

I bought a pizzaque last year, but decided I was just going to cut a lid & sell the pizzaque on craigslist.  So, I'm curious as to what exactly you are doing to see whether I can semi-duplicate.  But, if just takes 30 seconds, or less, off the time to cook each subsequent pie, I'm not certain that I've ever cook so many in a row that it would make sense. Although, it probably would look cool if you have a bunch of people over for a pizza party.
regards,
Hal

quisquose

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 05:26:39 AM »
Using two paddles, and whilst pizza A is cooking:

1. Wife prepares pizza B on paddle X.
2. Briefly place the uncooked pizza B whilst still on paddle X in the top.
3. Remove cooked pizza A from the main oven using paddle Y.
4. Pizza A goes to plate. Paddle Y goes to wife.
5. Move pizza B from top to bottom using paddle X. Because it has been warmed it is easy to throw off onto the stone in the main oven, rather than just the toppings!
6. Paddle X waits.
7. Wife prepares pizza C on paddle Y. etc

This circular process takes three mins per pizza, so half a dozen pizzas can be produced with the main oven at peak temps. Planning to cook a dozen or more for a party this coming weekend.

There is no improvement or otherwise to quality, it just simplifies the process.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:30:23 AM by quisquose »

evals

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 06:40:49 AM »
Check out this thread for another idea:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/pizza-forum/ceramic-briquettes-for-extra-heat/

I wonder if you can make something similar to that above the second pizza.  And get two done at the same time?