Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Modernizing a Genesis 2  (Read 1128 times)

db130

• Smokey Joe
Modernizing a Genesis 2
« on: May 06, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »
I picked up this grill about a year ago from a seller that lived about 20 minutes away from where I work.  The seller rehabbed grills as well but supposedly had moved on to fixing newer Webers.  My guess is that it's from the late 80s as I know of a 1991 Genesis 2 with a serial number of 1621xx (mine has a serial number of 1394xx).

At the time, I had just parted out several Weber 1000 series grills and had plenty of parts lying around.

The good:

recent cast iron grates (which have since been paired with a different grill and sold off)
z-bars in good condition
good frame

The bad:

the 2 long square tubes on the bottom that where the lower shelves mounted were rusted
the FBs were trashed
the swing shelf was missing
The lid had turned into a hazy gray

Since I had the suitable parts.... I replaced the left side leg piece with one that has wheels, and replaced the firebox from a newer Genesis 1000 (the original firebox had seized manifold bolts)

I made new lower leg braces using 1" steel tubing from Home Depot and McMaster-Carr threaded inserts, and found a second swing shelf for the right-hand side.

I bought new rcplanebuyer flavorizer bars for it.....and then the grill sat untouched for months and months while I was getting around to cutting new wood slats for it.  At the time, I had multiple restored Weber 3-burners on my deck and I simply did not have room for this one.

Eventually, I sold them all and now I finally have room on my deck.  I kept a redhead lid from a grill I sold (the buyer preferred the green one instead), and I have a set of rcp stainless rod grates for this one.  I also added a side burner and a wire shelf from a Genesis Gold....and since that photo was taken with the green lid and the caddywampus swing shelf on the right, I have found another swing shelf  that's in waaay better condition.

I still need to stain the wood pieces for the side table (am using a Thermoset table as a temporary measure) and the swing tables... but the grill is functional.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:47:15 PM by db130 »
Copper Premium, 2009 22", 2008 18", 1999 Black SSP

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Modernizing a Genesis 2
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:00:12 AM »
Nice work, she looks right at home on the deck
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 04:13:53 PM »
Can't wait to see the finished product.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 05:26:15 AM »
Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

db130

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 04:32:17 AM »
Here is a teaser pic:

I'd still like to hang a matching swing shelf on the right hand side someday.
Copper Premium, 2009 22", 2008 18", 1999 Black SSP