Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Shoulder  (Read 588 times)

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Pork Shoulder
« on: April 20, 2019, 03:47:11 PM »
Smoked a 2.75 pound pork shoulder today. Put a rub on it, smoked it at 250-300 for three hours, then wrapped it in aluminum foil for the last hour until it got to 195 degrees. Every hour or so, I’d douse it with a little mango juice/apple cider vinegar mix. I used the Slow-N-Sear and filled the trough and drip pan with water.

It wasn’t bad, especially after a dollop of homemade barbecue sauce, but I think I can do better. Any tips for keeping the shoulder roast moist so it falls apart easily? Should I dry brine it overnight? Marinate it?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pork Shoulder
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »
Very nice...
In two weeks I'll be doing the same...
Hope mine turns out as well...

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 03:55:56 PM »
Smoked a 2.75 pound pork shoulder today. Put a rub on it, smoked it at 250-300 for three hours, then wrapped it in aluminum foil for the last hour until it got to 195 degrees. Every hour or so, I’d douse it with a little mango juice/apple cider vinegar mix. I used the Slow-N-Sear and filled the trough and drip pan with water.

It wasn’t bad, especially after a dollop of homemade barbecue sauce, but I think I can do better. Any tips for keeping the shoulder roast moist so it falls apart easily? Should I dry brine it overnight? Marinate it?

It's possible it was just a bad hunk of pig...
I prefer cooking whole bone in butts...Works for me...

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 04:19:50 AM »
Thanks, @SMOKE FREAK. You may be right--we get much of our meat from a farm in Iowa whose pork and beef cuts are leaner than most of the stuff we would buy in the store. Problem is, I've found this lean meat isn't as flavorful as other stuff.
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 04:26:14 AM »
Looks delicious. You could try adding a little apple juice when you wrap it. Maybe even take it to a little higher temp. Some butts take longer to get tender.  Just take it until it’s fork tender.

Once pulled, I usually dust it with a little rub and a little bit of finishing sauce. It does wonders for flavor throughout but nobody can tell you added anything to it. Kind of cheating I suppose but it works great