Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Talk Me Into It (or out of it!)  (Read 802 times)

rahzel427

• Happy Cooker
Talk Me Into It (or out of it!)
« on: April 18, 2019, 11:24:19 AM »
Hello All,

I have been lurking a bit on this and a few other Weber/BBQ forums for the past few months and have been considering my new grill purchase.  My wife and I purchased our new home at the beginning of the year and threw out our older cheap gas grill before we moved.  I have really been wanting to get into charcoal and have been researching Webers and kamados.

I am definitely interested in doing high heat, low and slow, smoking, pizza, baking, and just about trying everything.  I prefer to have one cooker if possible for space reasons and am between a Performer/26/WSC.  I do live in Upstate NY, so the harsh winter is a consideration that has me interested in the WSC or some type of kamado-like grill with good insulation.  The fuel efficiency intrigues me too, as it would be nice to not have to babysit too often (we have a baby on the way as well, so that will full my babysitting quota for awhile!)  Gas assist would also be a nice feature for connvenience on weeknight cooking, but I guess it is not a requirement as I have seen it doesn't save a ton of time for some. 

If I go with a Performer or the 26, I would definitely get a SNS and Kettlepizza, but would not need those accessories with the WSC.  But that price though!  Although, there is a dealer near me that has the standard WSC without cart for $1200...

Are my concerns over difficulty cooking in the NY winter justified?  Can I accomplish all my goals for about half the price?  Or is it worth it to splurge?  I am going mad here people!  I appreciate the help of all the experienced kettle aficionados here.  Thank you all!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Talk Me Into It (or out of it!)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 11:42:25 AM »
Welcome and congrats on the new home and the addition on the way. For me I would get the 26 technically the least expensive of the 3. It can do all the things you mention with ease, and leave you plenty of money for diapers and food !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »
I’ve never used a summit but the 26” is the best bang for the buck of any grill imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »
I think I remember a similar question on the BBQ Brethren? Anyway...welcome!

As for your question: it really depends. I love cooking and firing up the BBQ outside. However, when I lived in NJ there was no way during a Polar Vortex that I was going to cook outside. There are tricks that can hold you over during the winter months (vac sealing/freezing BBQ for example). Winter back east was the time when I could cook in the comfort of my house, heat the inside as a bonus, and not freeze my ass off. Just because you can cook in 15 degree weather doesn't mean you probably will. Does that make sense?

Honestly, most people who have a WSC really love it. Given the weather in the winter (and your diehard desire to cook in January) that might be a good option for your part of the country.

That said...a 26" is hard to beat. It is one of those grills that you will absolutely love. SNSXL and the Kettle Pizza (plus extension ring) and you're set. Throw a CB Rotisserie in there while I'm spending your money. LOL

The least expensive would be a used Performer + those accessories for that cooker. The table / gas assist is a really nice feature.

Can you accomplish your goals for half your price? Yes! For me, not sure I could stomach $1200 for a WSG. A used one for a few hundred less? Maybe. The Weber 26 is personally the only grill I'd pay retail for.

mojo2454

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 03:37:57 PM »
Hey, welcome I live in upstate ny too

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 05:05:20 PM »
Welcome from Richmond from an X-upstater. I would go with the 26".

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »
I don't think I could get by with just one grill...
Get the 26 with a vortex AND get a good Kamado...
I think I could live with that.......for a while...

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
Welcome from Plainfield Indiana.   If you’re cooking for two, the performer with gas assist is my vote.  If you’re going to be cooking for more, the 26 is a great value and can do it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 05:57:08 PM »
Welcome from Plainfield Indiana.   If you’re cooking for two, the performer with gas assist is my vote.  If you’re going to be cooking for more, the 26 is a great value and can do it all.

Good advice.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 06:07:55 PM »

Good advice.

I cooked for 2 tonight on the 26 and with a vortex. Wouldn’t have had it any other way. So much space and an upside down vortex makes the perfect burner.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 06:09:52 PM »

Good advice.

I cooked for 2 tonight on the 26 and with a vortex. Wouldn’t have had it any other way. So much space and an upside down vortex makes the perfect burner.

Hard to argue with that!