Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2nd Kettle 1st Weber!  (Read 1720 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: 2nd Kettle 1st Weber!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »
Instead of the chisel, you might want to check out this guide for cleaning the bowl & lid interior.  If it doesn't mention it, liberally applying a mixture of 1 part liquid tide with 4 parts water & letting it sit for a bit does seem to help before scraping it down.  http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/
regards,
Hal

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 06:29:17 AM »
Ok so the grey one is M code. 1990

Red is EO. 1995

The black is DH. 2004

And the first one that I had welded is DA. 2001

I think those are all correct

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 06:35:52 AM »
And I guess I never hit post on my other reply. Thanks for the links guys! I need to get some razor blades. Hopefully I can find some time to work on them today.

I know I saw a guy say he used a softball and a hammer to pop out dents too.

The red one has a lot of exposed metal where the leg sockets are, so I will probably just get that one welded too.

I'm just trying to cook on these things. As I dont think they are anything too special. And I dont have much into them.

I had read that there are stainless ash sweepers available... Does anyone have a link to those or should I just grab the replacements from Lowe's.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 06:57:25 AM »

You can use a rubber mallet to fix that leg socket.  Just whack the dented in area inside the bowl with the rubber mallet.  You will be amazed how easily it pops the leg back to its original position.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 04:44:21 PM »
In case it wasn't super obvious, it is the single edge razor blades you find in the hardware store that fit in a cheap utility scraper, like this one from Menards.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/painting-tools/tool-shop-scrape-all-utility-blade/sku2751247/p-1444438397440-c-8076.htm?tid=2018957451981306519&ipos=1

And I guess I never hit post on my other reply. Thanks for the links guys! I need to get some razor blades. Hopefully I can find some time to work on them today.

I know I saw a guy say he used a softball and a hammer to pop out dents too.

The red one has a lot of exposed metal where the leg sockets are, so I will probably just get that one welded too.

I'm just trying to cook on these things. As I dont think they are anything too special. And I dont have much into them.

I had read that there are stainless ash sweepers available... Does anyone have a link to those or should I just grab the replacements from Lowe's.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 04:46:44 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 07:01:34 PM »
The handles are sick og logo handles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 05:53:40 AM »
I didn't hear him, but my buddy heard the guy say one of them had replacement handles... Could that be what the Kenmore handles are? I'm a complete noob when it comes to these webers.

Cooked some steaks on the welded 2001 last night. Came out pretty good, phone was dead so I didn't get pics.

I dropped the lid while trying to add a handle to the damper, and the top handle fell off lol. So I used the jumbo Joe lid, cause I had it fairly clean

Cellar2ful

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 06:35:04 AM »

You can order SS ash sweeps direct from Weber. The part number is #90720.  They are more expensive than the standard sweeps but are much stronger and less prone to bending upwards when the bowl gets gunk on it.  They also will probably not ever have to be replaced.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 07:35:14 AM »
Seems like the smart option. I was just gonna buy some at Lowe's or home depot, but I guess nobody carries those here.

The original post I saw was saying the stainless ones were cheaper, I didn't think that would be true though.

Almost got this 04 clean, the razor blades are working really good.

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »
I bought a few of these last fall from ereplacementparts I think they was just a few dollars more than the 7444 pop metal ones. I got a couple of the ash catcher assembly's at the same time I think they was $21 each. Seems like prices have gone up since then.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 05:48:47 PM »
Got the black one cleaned up today and put the Kenmore handles on it. Turned out pretty good if you ask me.

A lot of work but I have a pretty decent kettle. Ended up drilling out the top damper cause it was super dirty. Put a stainless hex head bolt back in there. Also had to get stainless screws for the handles that were about an eighth inch too long, so I ground the tips off.

Its really satisfying getting one put back together.  Need to het the sweeps ordered.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »
The handles really turned out nice.
regards,
Hal

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 06:00:13 PM »
26 bucks doesnt sound bad, I wonder what weber charges.
Here are a few more pics

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 06:01:35 PM »
Did you just sand the handles & put tung oil on them, or something else?
regards,
Hal

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 06:09:21 PM »
I just sanded them lightly, used a brown fine tipped sharpie to fill in the letters and lines, then sanded a little more. I wasn't sure if it was gonna work. I just tried to be extra careful around the letters. One of them was more worn than the other, and it was harder, especially one of the lines to the right side. I just kinda freehanded it. Then I put a couple coats of poly on them. They arent perfect, but they look 100 times better than the nylon handles.

I looked for more info on the Kenmore model and couldnt find anything, even someone saying that weber wouldn't have rebranded a kettle for sears, but they look to be made just like the weber handles, and the wheels and dampers said weber. Idk but I like them.