Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2nd Kettle 1st Weber!  (Read 1730 times)

Walchit

• WKC Performer
2nd Kettle 1st Weber!
« on: April 09, 2019, 07:31:16 PM »
I got a char griller premium kettle for my birthday and soon after found this site, and have been wanting a weber.

Was at the in-laws and say they had a weber sitting there and I mentioned how I was gonna get one, so they brought it over.

It was out of round so I bent it back to shape and now the lid fits on there. It needs new wheels, and I started to clean it up and realized it was really wobbly. Turns out the mounts for the legs were rusting through.

I was pretty going ho on getting it put back together, so I went and paid this welder 20 bucks to weld them back down. He was getting carried away with the grinder so I just told him it was all good how it was, but the ash sweeper doesn't move the whole way now, but the damper opens and closes and its sturdy.

Might fire it up tomorrow.

Do any of you guys put metal wheels on yours? If so do you have a link?

And I know there is a guy that sells handles, but are there any measurements around here for making your own? I have a couple pieces of cedar laying around I would like to use for the handles.

Thanks for looking! And thanks in advance for any info on the wheels and handles.

Ps, I guess I didn't take a pic with the lid on, but you know what they look like lol.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 2nd Kettle 1st Weber!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 03:23:15 AM »
Welcome from greenwood Indiana. That will be a nice grill but personally I would keep an eye out for a used Weber with the one touch bowl. You can usually find them for around 20-30 dollars and you could use the bowl from it. It would drive me crazy not having a fully functional one touch system. It’s very handy imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 03:56:17 AM »
I will probably try to grind down some more of the welds, I just dont really want to accidently put a new hole in the bottom.

I can't get my posts to show up if I put more than one picture on them either.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 03:58:28 AM »
He was making me worried with the grinder

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 06:19:40 AM »
I would grind it smooth if possible. There is already exposed metal so a little more won’t hurt anything. Should still last several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 04:01:49 PM »
Can you use high temp paint on the inside of a grill? Or does it produce toxic fumes? Painted the ash pan black, and am working on some live edge oak handles.

I appreciate the advise.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 10:31:45 AM »
Don't worry about the inside, smoke and grease will take care of it. You don't want to paint it.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 11:08:10 AM »
Don't worry about the inside, smoke and grease will take care of it. You don't want to paint it.

^^What he said^^

Just use it, no need for paint on it.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 02:39:28 AM »
I might just put some cooking oil in there and try to "season" it.

In trying to grab 4 kettles of of Craigslist for 80 bucks, one is a redhead, so this one might end up getting donated to a friend anyway.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 08:31:40 PM »
Got some rough ones. 60 bucks for all 4 of these.

I will get some more pics tomorrow.

The grey one has the daisy wheel intakes and Kenmore handles. But the leg mounts are messed up.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 04:14:09 AM »
Hard to tell from pictures, but they don't look too bad.  From the listing pics &yours, I still don't remember seeing any major porcelain on the red, so that may clean up really well.  If the only significant damage is the socket damage on the weathered warrior, the rest should make nice cookers & the red might even make quite a nice looker. 

The Kenmore handle looks in pretty good shape & is interesting.
regards,
Hal

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 02:32:48 PM »
The red and the grey both have rusted out leg sockets. I got a guy that will weld them, but he's kinda messy.

Is welding the preferred method for fixing leg sockets? 

I have been taking some pics trying to get them cleaned up. Had to use a grinder to get the ash sweeper out.

The H style sweeps will work in them right? Besides the daisy wheel one.

I had to use I chisel to get all the charcoal, grease, and ash out of the grey one.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:03:13 AM by Walchit »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 05:56:37 PM »
A lot of people use fender washers & bolts to fix the legs instead of welding.  Hopefully, someone will come along with a link to a thread showing how it is done if I can't find one of them quickly.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 06:00:27 PM »
Look at this thread.  Some people just use bolts & nuts with the fender washers on the legs, but @brewtownbeatdown used rivets instead of nuts & bolts.  It's not a step by step, but you'll get the idea from the pictures.  By the way, it is helpful to use stainless steel washers, bolts, & nuts.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/cold-call-'73-'75-yellow-22'/msg194668/#msg194668
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 06:03:09 PM »
It looks like you might also have some dents in the bowl where one of the leg sockets are on the red one.  Here is a thread describing fixing that a bit.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/seeking-kettle-restoration-suggestions/msg327024/#msg327024
regards,
Hal