Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I flat out need some advice and help.  (Read 1451 times)

Lnytns

• Happy Cooker
I flat out need some advice and help.
« on: April 09, 2019, 01:10:46 PM »
I am lost at the art of keeping a even temp with my 22' charcoal grill.   I want to do a slow, low heat cook, but not sure how to maintain a even internal temp.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: I flat out need some advice and help.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 03:16:29 PM »
Use a snake/fuse burn. There are plenty of threads on how to properly do this.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »
Or a Slow-n-Sear.  Snake method doesn't cost anything and works well.

JVReich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 04:20:15 PM »
Or a Slow-n-Sear.  Snake method doesn't cost anything and works well.

I have a SnS and like it but always seems to find myself going with the snake.  Just personal preference.  Either will work just fine for slow n low for the OP. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 04:25:01 PM »
helps to describe what you are doing now and whats going wrong
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 04:37:09 PM »
most common issue is how you start your fuel

low and slow..light only a handful if coals ..damper adjustments and bake in a half hr to hr for fireup time PRIOR to adding food ..

always keep in mind when you add meat the kettle temp will DROP significantly..this does not mean your dampers are set incorrectly...its the result of adding a hunk of meat which is lower temp to yhe kettle and also you let all the internal heat out during the process

..if you setup dampers correctly...check the temp an 30-60 mins later and you should see the temp settle in

if you are too hot..adjust dampers and check back in half hr

every adjustment takes minimum of 30 mins to an hr to reflect in temp readings.

if you are always too hot to start..shut the bottom dampers down completely..add less coal and then after you see the temp start dropping below where you want to be..then open up the dampers slightly..check back in 15/30 min  cycles until you achieve your target temp.

whenever i light my wsm..i have all my dampers closed

set my watch diver bezel to 30 mins and check back incycles till im below my target temp and then i start opening up my dampers slightly....on 30 mins cycle i check back on temp and then continue to open up my dampers with small adjustments till im steady at target temp

its a learning process until you figure out the optimal lit coal startup and damper adjustments process for your temp targets

for me..its a multistep process on damper adjustments during fireup so i dont overshoot

once you overshoot and run hot its hard to pull down the temp

Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 04:44:07 PM »
kettles dampers have a wide swing on vent opening relative to how much you move the sweep arms due to vent design on the kettles.

if you havent done it yet.

mark your ash ring as you move the ash sweep arm while looking down at the sweep arms to see the amount of vent openings and mark accordingly on the ash ring..theres plenty of writeups on this already.

after a while you wont need to look at these readings but its helpful for beginners.
Grills

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 05:31:20 PM »
OK I don't use a snake in my kettle...
Instead I make a pile of unlit lump on one side and add a few lit coals to the center of the pile...As the fire spreads I adjust the vents accordingly...Add more lump later if needed...
Understand that I am a stickburner at heart and many of my methods on the Weber reflect that fact...I actually love tending the fire and a set it and forget it cooks sounds boring to me...

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 06:03:18 PM »
Instead I make a pile of unlit lump on one side and add a few lit coals to the center of the pile...As the fire spreads I adjust the vents accordingly...Add more lump later if needed...
Understand that I am a stickburner at heart and many of my methods on the Weber reflect that fact...I actually love tending the fire and a set it and forget it cooks sounds boring to me...

same here

ive never sorted charcoal

im sure it works but why bother.

for me its all about damper adjustments..once its set correclty doesnt matter how coal is placed
.the coals burn and light adjacent coals based on damper /vent /air flow

i dump a pile of coals drop some lit coals and work my dampers

air flow controls the burn..

but after i hit my target temp i dont have to adjust for many hours..just add fuel when coals start running low
Grills

dwg

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 08:04:45 PM »
Light coals in chimney. Bank on one side when almost white. Place lid, bottom vent open, top vent closed. Watch temperature drop. Open top vent about 1/3rd, 10 degrees before target temp, now you can fine tune. The more coals you start with, the longer you can cook.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »
There's always the option of using temperature controller (e.g., BBQ Guru).

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 09:23:32 AM »

You can’t use those until you are good at controlling temps without. It’s state law. Look it up. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 10:44:05 AM »

You can’t use those until you are good at controlling temps without. It’s state law. Look it up. 

Lol i dont use them cuz they are usually super expensive. I use the snake 2x2 on a 3 wheeler i only use 2 vents wide open, sweeps 1/4 open top vent wide open i usually can manage 225-250

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I flat out need some advice and help.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »

Lol i dont use them cuz they are usually super expensive. I use the snake 2x2 on a 3 wheeler i only use 2 vents wide open, sweeps 1/4 open top vent wide open i usually can manage 225-250

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

This is pretty much exactly what I do. Works like a charm and another benefit is your burning a nice clean fire with good airflow.

One chunk of wood near the beginning seems to do the trick when smoke is desired.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:58:58 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »

We do need to be neighbors. I’m positive I would enjoy operating a stick burner.