Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hawaiian Kalua Pork.  (Read 1287 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Hawaiian Kalua Pork.
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »
A couple of my Polynesian co-workers want me to bring Kalua pork for lunch tomorrow so here it goes. Pork shoulder rubbed with cracked black pepper and coarse alaea sea salt. Smoked 4 hours with alder chunks then wrapped with banana leaves and placed on a cast iron dutch oven to finish cooking for additional 6 hours. 

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hawaiian Kalua Pork.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 01:51:35 AM »
Amazing color.  Looks delicious!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 05:00:00 AM »
Beautiful, I want to be your coworker today
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:25:40 AM »
Love this!  I've always wanted to do kalua on the Weber.  Great cook, let us know what you thought of it!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:00:47 AM »
Love this!  I've always wanted to do kalua on the Weber.  Great cook, let us know what you thought of it!
I've used this method most of the time and it  has always turned out great. The key is to use a mild wood and don't over smoke it.   Depending on the size, i usually smoke it for 2-4 hours until it turn golden brown and has a slight crust before wrapping and placing it in the dutch oven. Once wrapped with banana leaves, the smoke flavor will penetrate throughout the meat.  The banana leaves will also impart a nutty/aromatic flavor to the meat. Also keep the rub simple with just salt n pepper.  If you want to use garlic or onion etc, don't use a powder form in the rub. Instead just add garlic cloves or onion sliced in half when you wrap the meat with the leaves. 
For this cook, a leaner meat was requested so i used boneless pork shoulder and removed some of the excess fats.  Since it's a leaner meat, i added 2 cups of unsalted chicken stock in the dutch oven.
Typically  a bone-in/skin on is preferred as it yields a more tender and juicer meat.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 11:09:22 AM »
Great looking cook, @Jules V. ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 06:52:09 PM »
Good!!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 05:56:06 AM »
Hell Yeah! That looks absolutely delicious.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 10:29:45 AM »
I like it but I don't know where I can buy banana leaves...

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 10:36:12 AM »
I like it but I don't know where I can buy banana leaves...
Almost all Asian grocery stores and some Mexican stores have it.  They're only about $1 a pack. I also use it to wrap fish and sometimes even ribs.  It's often used in tropical countries in lieu of aluminum foil. 

jdubb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 07:51:52 AM »
I don't have a dutch oven, but do you think finishing off in a slow cooker would work?
ISO: Blue 22in MBH.  Green 22in MBH

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 01:47:25 PM »
I don't have a dutch oven, but do you think finishing off in a slow cooker would work?
Finishing it off in a slow cooker will work just as well if not even better.  You can also use a steam pan, roasting pan or disposal aluminum pan and cover it with foil. 

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 02:50:00 PM »
Looks great! Reminds me of a traditional luau feast in Hawaiian vacation years ago. Entertainment and many other foods but the main was the Kalua Pork. Amazing how they buried the whole pig underground and dug it out to be served several hrs later.