Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this used Genesis worth it?  (Read 1580 times)

freshme4t

• Smokey Joe
Is this used Genesis worth it?
« on: March 11, 2019, 12:11:43 PM »
I need to replace my gas grill this year but don't have a lot of money to spend on a new Weber so I've been looking for good deals on something I could breathe new life into. I know that there has been some debate on newer Weber products not being what they used to be so I'd be looking for something during the good years.

This is a grill I found on Facebook marketplace where the guy wants $99. It doesn't currently work. Of course I'd hit him low and try to get the number down a few more bucks but I wanted to check with the community on whether or not it's a smart purchase, at $99 or even less. Please give me your thoughts.

Is this one of the older, more solid Genesis grills? Any idea as to what I'd need to spend to get this thing back to grilling status?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
Re: Is this used Genesis worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 01:50:41 PM »
That's in rough shape, not the worst, but definitely going to take some doing to get back in working order. Figure it'll take another $100 in parts at least, a weekend and some elbow grease to get this back in working order. See if you can negotiate the price down if you really want it and plan on keeping it for a while.

freshme4t

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 05:35:48 AM »
Do you think it's a solid platform? I don't want to waste money rebuilding one of the junky models. Was this grill one of the higher end ones?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 06:56:49 AM »
 :(
Do you think it's a solid platform? I don't want to waste money rebuilding one of the junky models. Was this grill one of the higher end ones?
I think it is a good gasser I have one as well, needs a floor like the one pictured, another member just ordered one from Weber and they gave him a big discount, most of the grime will clean up, flavorizer bars look for deals ebay and what not. Burner tubes may look ugly but function fine?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:53:08 AM »
With the rust, all the parts it needs, and extensive cleanup, I think you can find a better deal.

There are a lot of grills that come available periodically that are kept clean, indoors, and in working order for the same $$ or free...you just have to be on the hunt when they're offered.

If you can get it for free and your ambitious it might be a good deal for you but IMO you'd be doing the guy a favor just hauling it off so he don't have to pay to throw it away.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »
That 320 is easily worth $250 in nice condition.  But it is nowhere near nice.  I'd likely try to buy it for $50 just to have the manifold and side burner to swap to a 310 though. 

freshme4t

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 01:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll hit em low and if he isn't willing to negotiate I will move on. You guys rock!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 09:21:35 AM »
as everyone else said, this really needs a lot of work that can set you back a lot of money.  I buy sell and recondition gassers, this one I would not pay more than $50 for.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 10:02:11 AM »
Me, personally speaking, I'd pass on it unless it was being given away. It's better as a parts grill than a restoration project.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 09:30:21 PM »
I would walk away from this one. The cabinets on these are made of cheap file cabinet-like metal and not worth it trying to repair.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 04:36:55 PM »
Yeah, walk away from it.  That rusted cabinet is a pain to deal with and expensive to fix unless you are handy with metal/wood work. 

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

fat-boy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 06:45:18 PM »
If you can find one with a solid frame, they're damn good grills.  I'm a charcoal guy and I love my 310!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app