Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fabricating a steel baking "stone" and lid for kettlepizza  (Read 1725 times)

Firemanx

• Happy Cooker
Fabricating a steel baking "stone" and lid for kettlepizza
« on: March 04, 2019, 06:18:16 PM »
I'm on the hunt for any suggestions and advice on a bit of a backyard project.  I was in luck and bought a kettlepizza ring, just the steel ring with the handles that raises the lid of the Weber, new for $50.  I have a friend who owns a metel fabrication shop who can make just about anything.  I'm going to have him fabricate the bakingsteel lid from 3/16" 1018 steel.  My current thinking is making it a solid lid, no holes.  The one that KP sells has two holes on the sides, for handles and supposedly to add more fuel if needed, but it seems it would cause any flames that are coming across the ceiling to go toward the sides, no holes the temps should be a bit higher and the flames would spread a bit more.  Any thoughts here?

I'm also considering having the stone, or the floor, also fabricated from the same steel.  I've read a lot of good things of people using the steel instead of the stones.  Again, any thoughts or suggestions? 

Thanks in advance.

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
Re: Fabricating a steel baking "stone" and lid for kettlepizza
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 12:29:41 AM »
I think you are on the right track. Having done many home made pizzas on the kettle and having made my own baking steel I can be sure. Have your friend add a couple handles and some edging on one for use as a griddle. Don't use stainless because it doesn't season like regular steel. Please share the photos when you are done.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:32:42 AM by Bodhi »

Firemanx

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 04:21:58 PM »
Thank you for your reply and thoughts.  I will definitely take some pictures and share results as I make my way down this road.  I have only limited experience with pizzas and grills, so, we will see!

Kettle Doug

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:59:42 PM »
I’ve read that a stock Weber grate laid atop the upper screws on the PK ring with another pizza stone sitting on the upper grate also works very well keeping the heat down towards the pizza.  That’s the route I’m taking since I have another stone to use.