Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just ribs.  (Read 1020 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Just ribs.
« on: March 04, 2019, 12:58:14 PM »
Ribs on my one and only 3 legged kettle.  Currently all my other grills are SSP but she's my favorite. Only 2nd time I'm cooking on her.  F code with a custom 16 gauge stainless legs. Went with a double diffuser this time around.

Thick 16" stainless pan prevents the 18 1/4" aluminum drip pan/diffuser from getting too hot.  Diffusers sit on the stacker's lower grate which is about 5" below the top grate.

18 1/4" aluminum stock pot lid.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:37:40 PM by Jules V. »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Just ribs.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 01:48:01 PM »
Nice cook, and I’m amused that your one and only 3-legger sports “The One. The Only” handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 02:42:41 PM »
Nice cook, and I’m amused that your one and only 3-legger sports “The One. The Only” handles.

Not sure if the handles are original to the kettle. Any idea what years they were used? Always thought those handles were used during the 90's and early 2000's. 

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 03:17:09 PM »
I’ve only seen them on ‘C’ codes.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 03:29:27 PM »
What kind of rub(s) are you using on those ribs?

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 03:34:44 PM »
What kind of rub(s) are you using on those ribs?
Salt, black pepper, paprika, yellow sugar, and a bit of onion powder. 

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 03:59:34 PM »
Finished product.  Probably one of the best ribs I've cooked to date. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 03:29:05 AM »
I like the double diffuser. I don’t care for that burnt grease flavor when drippings hit a red hot diffuser. Interestingly enough, they don’t bother me dripping directly into the coal.

What do the kamado guys do?  Wouldn’t drippings on a stone diffuser produce burned grease smoke?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 03:29:28 AM »
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The ribs do look amazing.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 07:34:00 AM »
I like the double diffuser. I don’t care for that burnt grease flavor when drippings hit a red hot diffuser. Interestingly enough, they don’t bother me dripping directly into the coal.

What do the kamado guys do?  Wouldn’t drippings on a stone diffuser produce burned grease smoke?

Yeah burnt/smoky grease  from a drip pan or diffuser is not for me.   It's basically a dirty smoke that can impart a pungent and bitter flavor on the meat.  On the other hand, oily drippings on hot coals is totally different and beneficial.  The oily drippings burns off almost instantly and generates much cleaner  and  lower amount of smoke, which in turn adds flavor. 
Typically temperature of the oil puddle in a drip pan  can hover  anywhere around 300-500F which is bad thing since most oils begin to start smoking once it hits 350F.  For my high temperature cooks such as rotisserie or vortex chicken , i always fill the drip pan with ashes in a kitty litter manner to absorb the drippings and prevent it from smoking.