Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 4 outside, 850 inside...  (Read 649 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
4 outside, 850 inside...
« on: March 03, 2019, 06:30:41 PM »
I’ve been away from the grill for far too long. I just couldn’t take it anymore. Had to try out my new DIY air deflector/drip pan for the Poortex on some seasoned chicken thighs.

The outside temp was a balmy 4* around cook time tonight, but with a little over a chimney-full of briquettes and a few plywood clips to prop the lid on the 26er, the internal heat got a tad out of control. After about ten minutes with the chicken on, the dome temp hit 800* (it’s been my experience that the grill grate usually runs about 50* hotter than at the lid) and flames started creeping out of the top vent.

Since I didn’t want to run the risk of my wooden handle igniting, I decided to pull the plywood clips and just crack the lid. She settled in around 550* and cruised to the best thighs I’ve ever made.

-Jed
-Jed

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: 4 outside, 850 inside...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 04:55:38 AM »
Love that custom 26’er, Jed.cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 08:29:09 AM »
Those plywood clips are working wonders for you!  You’d probably be hitting 1k degrees at lower altitude!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 08:34:07 AM »
Yeah, I’m a little concerned about how long the center of my chrome 26” grill grate is going to hold up with all that heat right under it. I think the Summit Charcoal comes with a 26” stainless grate with a GBS removable center, but I haven’t seen that for sale separately anywhere. Has anyone here seen that?

-Jed
-Jed

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 08:40:04 AM »
Yeah, I’m a little concerned about how long the center of my chrome 26” grill grate is going to hold up with all that heat right under it. I think the Summit Charcoal comes with a 26” stainless grate with a GBS removable center, but I haven’t seen that for sale separately anywhere. Has anyone here seen that?

-Jed
26 come with stainless grates.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 08:57:16 AM »

-Jed
26 come with stainless grates.

Seriously? All this time I thought I was cooking on chrome, and they’re actually stainless? I bought mine used off CL a few years ago, so it’s not like the grate was all shiny & new. Total mindblower! Thanks.

-Jed
-Jed

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 04:02:45 AM »
Also Summit has 24 inch GBS SS grates

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Looking for Colored 18 MBH