Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Meater Wireless Probe Review  (Read 2044 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Meater Wireless Probe Review
« on: February 23, 2019, 07:38:07 PM »
I finally, (a couple of months ago now) received and tried (three weeks ago) my 4 probe Meater Block.

It was a little cumbersome to set up and to add a second iOS client monitor app instance.

It worked pretty well.  I did have one issue that the manufacturer has been slow to engage with me on; while my wifi is on and functional (and strong), it drops the connection to the Meater cloud service.  My other IOT crap works fine, this seems like a Meater/Meater Cloud issue.

Otherwise, it works really well and the app is actually well thought out and intuitive.  Both the device and the app is more polished than any other crowd funder thing I've purchased.  If they can work out the Cloud connectivity issue, I will be able to highly recommend it.

The time remaining estimates seemed to be pretty close.  I didn't pay attention to how much they changed, IE at 20% of cook what time did it estimate completion vs actual completion.  I presume it got more accurate as it got closer and could see ambient temp and cooking speed trends.

One thing I did notice is that the 2 probes that were in the ribs I cooked indicated a higher ambient temperature than the 2 probes that were in the chicken.  I'm not sure why this is.  Maybe if I find some spare time, I will run some tests to see if the probes report close to correct.  Food temps were within an acceptable ball park when compared with Thermapen instant read.

A bunch of rando pics and screenshots:http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/album/Aj

When the cloud is working well:
2019-02-02-16.56.42.png" border="0

When the cloud is disconnected; all 4 probes report this way:
2019-02-02-17.11.46.png" border="0

Graphing:
2019-02-02-17.22.22.png" border="0

Probes in food:
2019-02-02-17.23.31.jpg" border="0

2019-02-02-16.53.07.jpg" border="0

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:47:59 AM by Troy »

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Meater
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 08:02:50 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience with the Meater. I've been eyeing it for a while

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

duff645

• Smokey Joe
Re: Meater Wireless Probe Review
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 04:10:01 AM »
Still waiting for my Block Meater.  Ordered it several years ago.  I can’ wait to get it. How did you have to wait for yours?

Since then, I have ordered several single probes and gave them out as gifts. My pals have loved theirs!
ad fumant, condimentum in, ut serviant

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 06:15:36 AM »
Still waiting for my Block Meater.  Ordered it several years ago.  I can’ wait to get it. How did you have to wait for yours?

Since then, I have ordered several single probes and gave them out as gifts. My pals have loved theirs!

Looks like I ordered it from Kickstarter in Sept. ‘15. It shipped in Dec. ‘18.

I do see a message from a week or so ago that all Kickstarters have shipped or will in the (now ended) next week.

If you ordered from the Kickstarter campaign, you should have it now or will soon. If not, I’d reach out to see what the issue is. If you ordered elsewhere, maybe you order is fulfilled next cycle.

Chuck Brichta

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 09:33:48 AM »
I love my Meater. I have two,my one probe drops WiFi on occasion,but it all works great.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 12:55:39 PM »
I love my Meater. I have two,my one probe drops WiFi on occasion,but it all works great.

Do you have the meater blocks?  When on WiFi, do they stay connected to meater cloud ok?

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 01:02:30 PM »
A quick follow up to this. I have not heard back from meater since February. There was a little back and forth with them in Feb., so the comm. channel is good.  They seem to just be ignoring me. Perhaps hoping this issue goes away.

At any rate at this time, I would avoid the Meater. Their support is sh*tty to non-existent.

I don’t know why these startups all have such sh*tty support. You would hope young and hungry startups would have great responsive support.

Chuck Brichta

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 01:39:49 PM »
Never had a problem but they have kicked off the new block.  They are quick to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 01:45:05 PM »
Never had a problem but they have kicked off the new block.  They are quick to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Is there a newer block than the one I have?

They certainly have not been quick to respond to me.

Chuck Brichta

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 03:00:30 PM »
Yes dependingwhen you got yours. The newblock (only) gives out a longer range 365 ft. Or more.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 03:11:39 PM »
Yes dependingwhen you got yours. The newblock (only) gives out a longer range 365 ft. Or more.

Interesting. Mine was pretty early I think. I’ll ask them if they ever get back to me.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 04:56:04 AM »
Update:

I put my block on a different SSID and it is working well now. Not sure what it didn’t like about the other SSID.

It is now my go-to thermometer. The Smoke, iGrill, and Maverick all stay in the drawer now.

I really like:
cordless probes
Ambient and food temp sensors on one probe
App is better than others I’ve used
Probes are easy to clean
Block quality is nice

Note: it is important to get a good clean on the blunt end of the probe for proper charging

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 11:38:35 AM »
Still using and liking this. One thing, I use it with a WSM and BT range is crap through the metal smoker. I would guess this is the case with all metal smokers. If the block is within a foot or so it does seem to work pretty well. Other than this frustrating, but not deal breaking limitation, it is still my go to remote thermometer. It’s really nice not having wired probes and the app and cloud integration are pretty good, as good or better than others I’ve used.