Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Favorite charcoal?  (Read 8058 times)

WMT

• WKC Brave
Re: Favorite charcoal?
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2019, 11:31:03 PM »
Kingsford for me. The main options for me around here is the royak oak lump and kingsford BB when I can find it. I don't like the RO lump because there are way to many small peices that fall through the charcoal grate and the chimney grate. I really wish I could find it on sale like some of you guys. I'm paying $15 a bag and it never comes on sale. Seems the only stuff that does go on sale is the RO lump for $10 a bag

WMT

• WKC Brave
Favorite charcoal?
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
I guess I spoke to soon. I found 15.4 lbs bag of RO Classic briquettes for $8.99/bag at my local Canadian tire. All they had was 6 bags so I cleaned them out. Never tried it before but at that price I’ll give it a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2019, 12:11:06 PM »
Stubbs
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

sunlitcowboy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2019, 06:15:08 PM »
I just finished my last bag of Weber brand charcoal, my wife got it on sale for 3.99 at lowes last January. I think it's better than kingsford hands down but regular price is 19.99 for 1 bag. The coals are bigger and seem to burn better and more efficient.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2019, 07:55:18 PM »
KBB. I've tried a bunch but keep going back to KBB. It certainly is not the best, but it is by far the most burn for the price. Since most of my charcoal is used in the WSM18, this is my most important metric. Also, if I send my wife for charcoal, I can be assured she will get the right bag. I'll use lump–local brand or Royal Oak–if I get some good steaks. Otherwise, all KBB for me.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 03:16:49 PM »
I guess I spoke to soon. I found 15.4 lbs bag of RO Classic briquettes for $8.99/bag at my local Canadian tire. All they had was 6 bags so I cleaned them out. Never tried it before but at that price I’ll give it a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like the Royal Oak briquettes. Definitely better than Kingsford.

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2019, 08:01:51 PM »
Call me crazy but walmarts brand charcoal has been my go to laitly cuz its cheap and works good. My fave fave is coshell. R.I.P. [emoji111]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
You're not crazy and that charcoal works really good. It lights a little slower than Kingsford but doesn't smell as bad. It also produces less ash and last about the same. I tried it sometime last year and haven't stopped buying it since. I really like Expert Grill Charcoal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Illini2000

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2019, 09:51:04 AM »
Rockwood.  100% Missouri hardwood lump. 

I contacted customer service to complain about a rock I found in the bag (previous 20 or so bags never had a thing).  The rep explained the whole process to me, how that sometimes it's just inevitable even though they have extensive procedures in place, and because of that, they always add a pound of charcoal over what is advertised on the bag, so that nobody gets ripped off.  After all that he even offered to refund my money.  No need, just wanted to confirm that there were no changes in quality.  I ended up talking to the guy about cars, family in the area, all sorts of stuff...turns out, I was talking to the owner the whole time.  Couldn't have been nicer.  Said the business was his livelihood and he takes all inquiries seriously.  I haven't bought another brand in 3 years.
Looking for red 1978 kettle

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2019, 12:20:45 PM »
Rockwood.  100% Missouri hardwood lump. 

I contacted customer service to complain about a rock I found in the bag (previous 20 or so bags never had a thing).  The rep explained the whole process to me, how that sometimes it's just inevitable even though they have extensive procedures in place, and because of that, they always add a pound of charcoal over what is advertised on the bag, so that nobody gets ripped off.  After all that he even offered to refund my money.  No need, just wanted to confirm that there were no changes in quality.  I ended up talking to the guy about cars, family in the area, all sorts of stuff...turns out, I was talking to the owner the whole time.  Couldn't have been nicer.  Said the business was his livelihood and he takes all inquiries seriously.  I haven't bought another brand in 3 years.

That's awesome!

cookingjnj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2019, 02:31:31 PM »
Grate story Mike.  Peaked my interest, so I looked for distributors in my area.  Being in NJ, closest is about 25 miles away.  Next time I am in that area will look to pick up a bag or two. 

Tomo1970

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2019, 03:41:00 AM »

Grate story Mike.  Peaked my interest, so I looked for distributors in my area.  Being in NJ, closest is about 25 miles away.  Next time I am in that area will look to pick up a bag or two.

Same here I ordered 3 bags directly from Rockwood last night - free shipping on 3+ bags.

I have been using cowboy hardwood lump for a few years in my UDS. I liked it/had no issues. I picked up my first kettle last month and started noticing things I don’t like about cowboy - somewhat strange smell after the coals cool off (might just be me!) and the big 1 - good sized pieces of steel mixed in with my charcoal.

Looking forward to trying out Rockwood next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

sjmolitor@gmail.com

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2019, 10:12:50 AM »
For long cooks with the Slow nSear Weber briquettes are phenomenal At 250 cooks they last 7 to 8 hours, with low ash.  they are costly $20 for a 20 lb bag, sometimes on sale for $15 However the briquettes are bigger and last longer.

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2019, 08:10:03 AM »
I WILL NEVER BUY COWBOY BRAND ANYTHING IN MY LIFETIME, there was a painted board in my bag of lump a few years ago

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

:-[ Holy cow.  Not good.

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2019, 08:11:31 AM »
I've used Kingsford and Weber briquettes while Royal Oak lump so far.  Going to stop at Wally World on the way home and see what they have.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2019, 08:21:59 AM »
Mine is whatever my neighbor buys, his gate to the backyard is never locked !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill