Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need help with a ham  (Read 172 times)

Zippo Guy

• Happy Cooker
Need help with a ham
« on: February 02, 2021, 04:14:52 PM »
I'd like to try a ham on my kettle.  At the store I've only seen precooked and smoked hams. I'll try the local butcher shop for one next time.  I bought a small one, 3 1/2 pounds, to start with.  Directions say cover in foil,  put in oven set to 350 degrees, get internal temp to 130 degrees, remove and let sit until temp reaches 140 degrees.

That's no fun. Do I trim the fat? Do I score it? Do I make a super glaze? Do I use my 22 inch or 26 inch kettle? Low and slow or hot and fast? Do I really wrap it in foil? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Rick

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Need help with a ham
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 05:04:33 PM »
Sounds like you have a cured, precooked ham. 

In that case, you’re just reheating it.  I’d cook it on a 22 indirect.  If you can hit 300 to 350, you’ll be fine.  Some light smoke wouldn’t hurt.  Maybe apple.  Glazes are ok.  Something with brown sugar is usually nice.  Sweet and ham go well together.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
Need help with a ham
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 06:05:31 PM »
What @michaelmilitello stated above is good advise.

I like to make a thick orange juice and brown sugar paste and apply to a cured precooked ham and reapply thru out the cook. I’ll trim  some fat if it’s over 1/2” thick and score about 1/4”-3/8” deep in a crosshatch pattern. I don’t foil ham during the cook.

I reheat to an IT of 150-155F,  that’s how my wife likes her ham.

Curing a ham is a different process and uses #1 cure. Which I have done for ham, pastrami and bacon.

I doubled smoked two hams last month.

Good luck and let us know how your double smoked ham turns out.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:24:57 PM by AZ2FL »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Need help with a ham
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 02:27:50 AM »
Good advice from above, and it tastes good, just do it
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 04:07:21 AM »

If it’s a shank portion and has skin. Remove pork skin and thick fat.

Zippo Guy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 04:59:04 PM »
I went ahead and used my 26 inch kettle. I just got a new ash catcher for my 22 inch but I wasn't ready to try it. I used the two baskets, one on each side and got it up to 350 degrees. The ham was a small one from Costco. I made up a glaze from Southern Living, scored it a few times and threw it on. Every 15 minutes I spritzed it with apple juice and patted on the glaze. Did this three times before the interior temp got up to 150 degrees. Very moist, tasted great, ready to do this for family and guests. Now have ham for many breakfasts and sandwiches. Thanks for the help and advice. I would add pictures but don't know how, yet.
Rick

controlledburn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 05:17:55 PM »
There you have it!!
Success!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club