Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which WSM 22" Hinge?  (Read 6304 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Which WSM 22" Hinge?
« on: February 18, 2019, 08:56:11 PM »
Which hinge is preferred?  Does anyone have experience with both types and can make a recommendation?

https://unknownbbq.com/22-5-wsm-hinge/

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/weber-modifications/products/stainless-steel-wsm-hinge-clip

I'm leaning toward the Hunsaker.  I like the pinless floating design and the clip to keep the bowl and midsection together, opposite the hinge.  It looks like the lid can be removed and replaced a lot easier than the Unknown with the pin.  Also, it is 4 (vs 6) holes in the WSM to install.

Thoughts?

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Which WSM 22" Hinge?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
I'm not dissing the Hunsuker.  I've never see it, and I've hearnd nothing but good things about the company.

I've used the Unknown BBQ hinge pretty much since it first came out.  I've never had a problem with the barrel separating from the base.  And as long as you can keep the hinge over one of the legs, it provides all the support that you need to keep it steady.

And once you drill your first hole or cut your first probe wire slot . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

dirtfishingman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 12:01:09 PM »
For people that have done a this do u seal with high temp sealant to prevent rust?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 12:08:18 PM »
I think when drilling a hole in the smoker, many folk paint the exposed metal with high heat enamel bbq paint.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »
I never worried about it, I figured that if there was any way for anything to get in there, smoke & grease would take care of it.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 06:55:49 PM »
I have the Unknown BBQ hinge and I must say...it makes the 22WSM a joy to cook on.

And yes...use a little high heat black and gently brush it on to the exposed metal.

As for the pinless vs pinned hinge...I took out the pin on the Unknown BBQ hinge, brushed out the inside of the lid before my last cook and put it back on effortlessly. As for drilling, @Big Dawg is right; once you start drilling, you're drilling. Or as I always say: "Measure twice...cut less than that" ;)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 07:01:12 PM »
Thanks. Seems like I will not go wrong with either hinge.

Do we have anyone that has used the Hunsaker hinge?  Maybe I will TOFTT.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 07:22:57 AM »
I saw the Hunsaker hinge on sale and just ordered it. Not fast flat rate shipping is a very reasonable $2.

https://bbqsmokermods.com/oem-smoker-mods-by-brand/weber-smokey-mountain-wsm/hunsaker-brand-floating-lid-hinge-for-wsm-22-5.html

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 05:49:52 AM »
I'm a an old school lid lifter. Never saw the need for a hinge...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 05:58:12 AM »
Me too, I have a real heavy cocktail glass that helps me stay balanced when I lift the lid
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 06:38:46 AM »

I don’t have a good place to set the lid that is not on the ground.  I don’t want to pick it up off the ground and lift it over food.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 07:10:36 AM »

I don’t have a good place to set the lid that is not on the ground.  I don’t want to pick it up off the ground and lift it over food.
I understand your concern. My approach is, lean the lid on its edge against the WSM. Do what you have to do inside the cooker, then reinstall. No muss, no fuss.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:12:11 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Cloudbuster

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 10:03:06 PM »
Anyone knows if one protrude more than the other making putting the cover on the smoker painful.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 10:27:28 AM »

Anyone knows if one protrude more than the other making putting the cover on the smoker painful.

You might need to use a different cover. I haven’t covered mine since adding the unknown hinge, but I also store it in the garage when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 12:23:53 PM »
You can always use a normal kettle cover. Just throw a bungee around it if it wants to blow off

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app