Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Performer Question  (Read 3177 times)

jmwebb

• Happy Cooker
SS Performer Question
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:15:03 AM »
Found a Blue SS performer here in Calgary, AB, Canada and was thinking about checking it out, Any suggestions on what to look for?

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-outdoor-bbqs-outdoor-cooking-Weber-charcoal-BBQ-W0QQAdIdZ490385023

I picked up a 2005 One Touch Platinum earlier this year to replace a Big Steel Keg, but cant help but keep going back to the classifieds looking for more.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: SS Performer Question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 05:23:22 AM »
Lid bail is hanging, maybe just missing bolt? May need to get your eyes on this one up close. Looks to be new style ash catcher. Looks like they set a chimney of hot coals on the S/S table at some point.

jmwebb

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 05:34:47 AM »
Have an experience in cleaning up the results of a hot chimney on the S/S ? If it wont clean up I'll probably keep looking. Hard to pass up on the blue though.

Any suggestions on things to look for with the ignighter system etc?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 05:46:51 AM »
Have an experience in cleaning up the results of a hot chimney on the S/S ? If it wont clean up I'll probably keep looking. Hard to pass up on the blue though.

Any suggestions on things to look for with the ignighter system etc?

Ask the owner if he'll demonstrate the starter. If he won't or can't, use that as a bargaining chip. The components can be replaced without a ton of money if necessary.

A properly-sized  5lb propane tank, even if empty, is a plus because only the 20lb ones are inexpensive.

There's a thread or two here about stainless restoration but I don't think it addressed abuse from a chimney, which this one has suffered. According to this page each stainless panel is available new for about $35-ish apiece. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/weber-821004-touchngo-performer-grill-parts-c-193079_193086_193491.html

Make sure the bowl or lid haven't been bashed around.

The various hardware/bolts etc. shouldn't be too hard to find.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 05:49:51 AM »
Not worth $125, and there is NO WAY it was $800 new. Even now they sell for $350 or so. The propane tank appears to be missing, and as mentioned the lid bale is hanging. That would indicate that either the bracket busted at the bolt, AND the center bracket is missing. between a replacement tank and a new bale assembly you are looking at $80 USD. In that condition it would be worth $50-$75 I'm guessing based on what I see newer complete ones selling for.

jmwebb

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 05:54:12 AM »
I'd agree that its certainly not worth 125$ and hardly worth the 800$ that they claim was new.

I was going to float an offer of 75$ and work down from there on viewing...   

I discovered the bale on my One touch Platinum was hanging and got lucky, the nut worked itself lose and I found it in the ash can, might be a cheap fix...

Thanks for the responses guys.  This desire to have multiple kettles is going to be my downfall I know it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:04:46 AM »
Don't forget about charcoal holder grate/grill grate/charcoal holders condition. They're all replaceable of course but will add to your cost.

Looking again from the picture I see a 1lb tank on the ground. This was either converted to use a 1lb or these last SS models came that way? Might save you some upfront-costs right there if it uses a 1lb tank.

Ask yourself if you want a complete unit with no or some replacement parts necessary. Or if you just want some key parts (for another project) that might be in great shape such as bowl and lid (assuming they are in great shape.)

A grill that needs a laundry list of $20-$30 parts will drain your wallet. But on the other hand if $125 is cheaper than buying what you need elsewhere separately (and it could be) then proceed as necessary.

Don't get caught up in disproving the fake $800 claim; if he can't sell it for $100 or so he'll quickly realize what's it's worth.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 06:08:42 AM »
As long as the lid bale and (2 piece) center bracket are all in there, it's easy to get standard nuts and washers to reattach them.  Something you should actually do in any case, as it's wise to switch to stainless hardware, imo.  If the lid rollers are missing, you can get those from Weber for a couple bucks. 

Definitely use the starter system as a bargaining chip if it's not working, but in my experience they work right away with a little cleanup.  Most I've spent on an ignition system is $12US for the ignitor switch/sparker. 

A chimney burn on the SS is a tougher issue... I doubt that would sand out of the surface.  You might be able to live with it, or consider replacing the piece.  Or keep up your kettle searching habit and find a trashed kettle with a clean table someday...  ;-)

And yeah, that $800 claim is pure BS. 

Good luck in getting this one, jm!
One of the charcoal people.

jmwebb

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 06:14:14 AM »
This would potentially end up replacing my one touch platinum after clean up.

I'll float a low ball and point out the various bits that need replacing as reasons why I'm not offering 125$.
Certainly going to want to clean up/replace the S/S.

Any one know off hand how much the charcoal bin on these units typically hold? Trying to avoid carting charcoal in and out the house 2-3 times a week.  And the condo board nazi's in my complex wont allow any form of rubbermaid bin etc outside to store it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 06:24:28 AM »
Can't answer regarding capacity, even though I've got one of each in my garage awaiting further restoration and deployment. The SS's bin is larger (square-ish) at the top but smaller at the bottom compared to the Platinum's. And maybe not as tall.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 06:29:12 AM »
A properly-sized  5lb propane tank, even if empty, is a plus because only the 20lb ones are inexpensive.

Know your regulations before you go to look at it. I had to pay to have the valve replaced and the tank recertified before I could get it filled. Then the propane dealer charged $17 for 5 lb of propane.  :o Total was about $45. If the tank is too old to be recertified, it is worthless. (NB - 20 lb tanks can usually be exchanged regardless. I've always been up front about condition/age and asked the store if they will still exchange and have not yet been turned down.) back to the Weber, the quick connect used on the older ones could be a $$$ problem as well.

A grill that needs a laundry list of $20-$30 parts will drain your wallet. But on the other hand if $125 is cheaper than buying what you need elsewhere separately (and it could be) then proceed as necessary.

Good point. Good to know what common replacement items like grates, charcoal baskets, propane burner are so you can point that out to the seller. Don't be afraid to walk if the deal isn't good. I got my SS Performer for $50 and there's another one listed for that just today.

Good luck with the purchase!
kettles, smokers...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:48:45 AM »
I think the charcoal bins are meant to hold 20 pounds of briquettes, but I don't like to just dump them in there (it's too handy of storage for other accessories).  I can tell you that a 13lb Kingsford bag will fit right in there with room to spare. 

re: price, as others have said, it's worth what you will pay for it.  I happily paid 25 for my black SS (that needed zero work, other than cleaning), and happily paid 100 for my red (that needed another 45 in parts).   You can wait for a better deal, but you probably have a sense of how often used SSPs come up in your area.  If you want it now, you might need to pay a bit more for it.  But I doubt you'll be too sad about that when you're cooking on your sweet SS. 
One of the charcoal people.

jmwebb

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »
Thanks Mike.

I've made an offer, I'll let it sit with the seller for a few weeks until he realizes it most likely wont move at his price, given that I've seen it online for a few weeks and relisted multiple times.

In the mean time I'll enjoy my platinum and continue search for a rotisserie.

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »
Don't forget about charcoal holder grate/grill grate/charcoal holders condition. They're all replaceable of course but will add to your cost.

Looking again from the picture I see a 1lb tank on the ground. This was either converted to use a 1lb or these last SS models came that way? Might save you some upfront-costs right there if it uses a 1lb tank.

Ask yourself if you want a complete unit with no or some replacement parts necessary. Or if you just want some key parts (for another project) that might be in great shape such as bowl and lid (assuming they are in great shape.)

Don't get caught up in disproving the fake $800 claim; if he can't sell it for $100 or so he'll quickly realize what's it's worth.

On the contrary, I would alert the person that a new grill with everything under warranty is $350 and that this grill is 15-20 years old. (whatever the date code would say) Point out the missing tank, as even though I see a 1lb disposable sitting there, the connector on the grill is for a new style refillable valve. If there is no tank to use for testing, how do you know the regulator is even any good? (I just got a 2010 and the damn regulator was bad)