Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Poortex wings with a twist.  (Read 1074 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Poortex wings with a twist.
« on: February 19, 2019, 01:51:06 PM »
Took  25 minutes to cook. Extremely moist and juicy with a very crispy skin. Cook was done with a 14" custom Spitfire Grilling stacker. Cooking grates are spaced 5" apart so could've cooked a bunch of wings but unfortunately I'm the only meat lover in my household. Two cooking  grates was used to verify the cooking rate/temperatures at the different distance to the coals.  As configured, the  temperature was slightly higher at the lower grate  as the wings got done roughly 5 minutes sooner than those at the top grate. 

Thermometer is installled 3/4" below top cooking grate. Temperature is less than 50 degrees lower than lid thermometer.

Full chimney of weber briquettes was used. 

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Poortex wings with a twist.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 08:06:29 PM »
Those wings look great. And it's funny that your household won't eat meat - I am married to a nurse that won't eat vegetables.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 02:23:53 AM »
Those look very good, did you end up with a different level of crispness from the different grates?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 09:40:21 AM »
Those look very good, did you end up with a different level of crispness from the different grates?
The high temperature and the drip pan probably contributed to it being extra crispy.  I maintained a minimum temperature of over 500F at the cooking grate throughout the cook. 

The drip pan packed with ashes absorbs the oily drippings which prevent it from creating steam especially toward the end of the cook.  The lack of steam allow the skin to become more crispy. 

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 09:44:47 AM »
Nice setup.  Wings looked great!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 09:45:31 AM »
Those wings look great. And it's funny that your household won't eat meat - I am married to a nurse that won't eat vegetables.
They're not actually vegetarians as they consume meat products once or twice a week.  Mostly seafoods and vegetables etc.  For me I need my meat products 5-6 times a week. 

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 01:18:11 PM »
I’m loving that circular drip pan!! Where’d you find it??

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 01:45:28 PM »
I’m loving that circular drip pan!! Where’d you find it??

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
That's a 21 1/2" convex comal that i chopped off.