Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genisis Regulator problem?  (Read 1153 times)

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
Genisis Regulator problem?
« on: February 05, 2019, 10:41:07 AM »
So, here goes....

The Weekend BEFORE the polar Vortex hits St. Louis, I had two Monster Rib-Eyes to cook....  Had to work that Saturday so time was of the essence.   I called the Blue Genny into service.  Turned on the Gas, turned on burner 1 and hit the button.  Got all 3 up and fired.  Closed the Lid and waited to hit 500 or so.  Going to reverse sear these bad boys and do up some Bacon Wrapped asparagus after.   

Checked on the Temps after about 10 minutes and she only hit 350ish.  Waited another 10 and no change.  I hooked up the Maverick to the grate and yep... 355F.  Thats all she had.  Frustrated, I pulled out the SSP and fired up some charcoal.   Delayed dinner a bit but they turned out amazing.   Put the Dogs on the Gasser for the MIL. It took a while but they finished up like she likes them. (She won't eat steak.  I know... sacrilege right??)...

Now keep in mind, I have completed a recent all internal parts restoration on this old girl back in September new everything other than the Regulator.  She cooked like a dream back then.... 

This weekend when it was 69F outside, I pulled off the cover and lit her up again.  Pegged the thermo at 600F in 10 minutes.  I shut it down and tried again after she cooled off.  Same result.  Good, Hot temps again.  No real difference in the color of the flames in the tubes...

Sound like I have a temperamental Regulator???  That is the only part I didn't change out.   I do have a spare reg and manifold from another project... 

Thoughts encouraged....

TIA

Jeff(rackmo)
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Genisis Regulator problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:47:46 AM »
How cold was it when it was faulty

Outside Temp

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:51:48 AM by HoosierKettle »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: Genisis Regulator problem?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 07:45:31 PM »
+1 for temp when it was running cold? Im not exactly sure how propane works on molecular level, BUT i do know that extreme cold and heat messes with density. So being in the teens could have made the propane super dense and restricted flow. But again, donno if propane acts like that but it sounds good 🤣

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 08:17:49 PM »
+1 for temp. I have the same issue at low temps especially when the gas cylinder is almost empty. My solution is to give the cylinder good shake few times during the cook.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:19:45 PM by qrczak1 »

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 03:41:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies fellas! 

Temps were in the mid to upper 50's that day.    The tank is reading about 1/2 full according to the scale.   

I have grilled in the teens with my other LP Weber and it was fine.  Just thinking there may be a condensation issue.   All of my Grills are covered so... 

I think the Reg is the suspect.  However, I may just swap out the Reg n Hose and see if that corrects it.

Just a first for me with not hitting the designated temps...

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 07:01:45 AM »
I had this problem on a newer Genesis one New Year's Eve when it was really cold outside. I called Weber and asked them about the problem and it's a safety that is built into the regulator. They they told me to turn the tank off open the valves for the burners to relieve the pressure from the regulator, then turn the valves for the burners off and reopen the valve on the tank slowly.  After doing this the temperature went up to the normal 550 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 11:14:19 AM »
Thanks @kneab. I will give this a try soon.  I hate to have to dig into this grill again...  however it wasnt really that cold out.  May have been to non use.  I hadn't use this grill since Christmas... 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 03:43:54 PM »
I believe that the problem is more related to the speed of opening the tank valve than the air temperature. If the hose was cracked going to the manifold and the gas was flowing too rapidly it dials the pressure down. I have heard it happen when opening the valve quickly. Kinda makes a tick.
Now I know when I hear it to close the valve and let the pressure off, than reopen the tank valve slowly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »
Jeff, how old is the regulator?  They do fail had one on a 1000 and 11 bucks on Amazon will get you a new one it does not need to be a weber a universal will be fine bought them before no issues. 

The low temp should make it longer to heat up but it should get there maybe more than 10 minutes.  Turning on the gas normally or to be honest have turned them on quickly should not make much of a difference.  The safety regulator kicks in when people turn off the tank before they shut the manifold valves off as you always need to turn the valves off then close the propane tank valve.  The reverse when you start her up propane tank first then the manifold valves.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 05:57:25 AM »
@Brian ATL  the Reg is as old as the grill.  2001. (assume)  Going to experiment a bit before doing a reg replacement.  @Kneab  I do hear the TICK when I open the valve.  I don't detect any leaks. I always open slowly.  I used to drive a Zamboni ice re-surfacer powered by LP.  Open valve too fast and you would come to a stop on the ICE after a few minutes.  Have to jump down and recycle the close/open trick.  Not sure why I didn't think of that.  ANYWAY...

This weekend will be a good test.  outside temps should be around 20 ish to test the COLD theory.  Maybe I am making more out of this than I should...

thanks for the Ideas fellas...  I do appreciate it!