Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis question  (Read 2709 times)

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
Re: Genesis question
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 05:07:53 PM »
I will chime in here first of all I have a 1000 so its 13 bars like the 5000.  You can as a good weber should get to 550 to 600 Fahrenheit on the therm.  First of all I don't trust any of the therms on Webers you are not measuring the temps at the grate level.  So 550 really is not that accurate because its most likely a lot hotter at the grate level.

But like my performer I have learned to cook by the dome therm so that I can trust it for temps.  I also when doing steaks for example use a https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4 to check a ribeye for example, they go on sale from time to time I got mine for 79 bucks. 

On the 1000 I usually start the steaks out providing they are thick indirect so the front burner off and the steaks for maybe 14 minutes then check the temps usually about 115 degrees throw them on the back burners which have been on medium to high so I make sure they are high to get a sear.  Should not need once you throw them on the high heat more than another couple of minutes or less on high heat I try to get to 135 but the ends of the steak I use the Thermapen to get to 140 since the middle of the steak will be a lower temp and my wife likes hers a little more well done. 

Silvano

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »
So it's a good choose to take and restore an old weber 5000 over a new genesis/spirit (same burner number)? In term of performance

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 03:11:04 PM »
So it's a good choose to take and restore an old weber 5000 over a new genesis/spirit (same burner number)? In term of performance
Gas webers are gas webers. Imo. But the older genesis models are WAY better looking. AND parts are still readily available. You can find all sorts of genisis models from 100 to 5000 for free or next to free. Id rather revive an older work horse then buy a new one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 05:25:11 PM »

This is something that could be debated forever you do the 5000 they are east west burners so if you are into a rotisserie they are way better however and this is coming from somebody who owns a 1000 the north south is way better for indirect in my opinion so a 4 burner newer weber grill if you do a lot of indirect is the way to go and I hate to say that but the 5000 quality compared to these newer grills is far better.

Silvano

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »
So i decide to took the old genesis. In term of condition, i think its in very good shape. I will propably use it as it is. Maybe make a full restoration after some time.
Have some question, i would like to change gas hose both side and main. But i dont know where to find part number or aftermarket item, here in italy. Do you have some site with part number

Silvano

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 11:30:58 AM »
Ps: in mine is missing the plate with info, like here:
http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2016/08/19/IMG_8745Custom.jpg

Cellar2ful

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 12:35:19 PM »
Have some question, i would like to change gas hose both side and main. But i dont know where to find part number or aftermarket item, here in italy. Do you have some site with part number

Here is a link to a schematic for a Weber 5000 (directly from Weber's website).  As to whether Weber still has any of the parts, you'll have to call them (800-446-1071).

https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse.aspx?model=252101
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Silvano

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 05:48:33 AM »
As i thought, it would be a problem have all piece in short amount of time. I have to buy piece by piece, from different sellers.
I find a Hose and Regulator but for 190€ (215$) and i cant understand why the price is so high?
Normal pressure regulator (for bbq or stove) are like 5/6 € in "home depot", why the weber one are special? Or did some one have tech specification for the weber one, so i can take the same but aftermarket?
I think it's 1,5 kg/h but want to have some confirmation, thank you

Silvano

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 04:29:34 AM »
Ok, for everyone in future, there is a lot of difference between  gas regulator, depending on country. German one, can go up to 50mbar, meanwhile usa standart is 30 mbar. So check your weber befor fitting.