Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis question  (Read 2731 times)

Silvano

• Smokey Joe
Genesis question
« on: February 01, 2019, 07:43:50 AM »
Hello from Italy,
i found this site, looking for some good restoration project and i came across this gem.
I have some question about 5000 series, did it have some point on restoration for grilling use or it may be better look at latest genesis series?
Or better: how much is a 5000 worst that a new one? There is so little info about 5000, about power, smoking capacity, maximum temp etc.
Is it possible use some new (aftermarket) high performance burner, or because of parallel burner, there is no way to update the grill?
Thank you in advance

SixZeroFour

Re: Genesis question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »
Hi @Silvano and welcome to the site!

The 5000 Genesis is a fantastic grill, and if you are able to find one that is in good condition structurally I wouldn't hesitate at all to pick it up. (Especially if you are willing to put in a little work to get it restored). In fact the entire early genesis lineup 1000-5000 were awesome grills that if taken care of will last a VERY long time. Standard wear parts like burners and flav bars are still readily available so no issues there - the key is finding a grill with a good frame with no / minimal rust. That's really the only thing that will kill one of these things :)

An aftermarket burner is not necessary in my opinion as a properly running standard burner with get you up over 500 deg as-is. Swapping in a different burner would likely only cause you headaches and frustration. If anything the newer models may actually run a bit cooler than the old school Genesis unless you opt for a model with the sear station feature to amp things up a notch.

Hope this helps and good luck in your search!

Matt
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Silvano

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 10:21:37 PM »
Thank you, i found a "good" shape 5000, missing middle glass door, side table and it's unused by 10 years circa. The price is not the best, he would like to have 150€ and, imho, eventually could drop 120€.
So making some calc, with new manifold, grates, flavorizer bars, gas tube with connectors and quality rebuild material (wood/paint) i will easily outmatch 600€.
Restoration work is not a problem, i had some time with sand blasting and high temperature painting (and painting in general).
That why i'm asking for a paragon with a new genesis/spirit, because i could add another 400 and get brand new 3/4 burner. I will mostly smoking and grilling steaks
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:19:54 AM by Silvano »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 06:23:21 AM »
Wow i picked up a 5000 a while back and am slowly putting it back together. Mine has a silver lid. I LOVE THE LID!!! is it brown or more of a copper color?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 07:00:14 AM »
That’s a super looking grill. I have one I’m restoring and haven’t cooked on it yet but maybe someone here can tell you how it compares to a newer BBQ for steak cooking and basic gas grill smoking. If it’s the same I would definitely take the older Genesis 5000 over the new ones because the classic look is so much nicer in my opinion.  Good luck on whatever you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 08:48:25 AM »
Is the manifold broken or are you switching gas types? Its fairly rare to see the manifold fail and when it does its usually just a broken valve so hopefully you can use the original and save some $$? The glass door will be easy to have made up and you could use vinyl pinstripe to match the original design. The tricky bit will likely be the hardware to hang the door onto the frame as these are no longer available and a fairly unique part. You may need to fabricate a replacement that will do the same job (should't be too difficult).

In terms of cooking it will be VERY similar to a new model Genesis with the exception of the horizontally mounted burner tubes. If anything I find a lot of people prefer this type of design especially if you like to do rotisserie cooking.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 08:48:57 AM »
Nice to see it has the serving tray too!

Silvano

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 09:13:28 AM »
Yes, i really like the design, new model are a little bit like some industrial kitchen design, and it's not what i like. And i think that 5000 series is like a "piece" of grilling history.
I saw that on new weber, temp gauge is up to 400 Celsius, meanwhile the 5000 is "only" 250°/270°. Is it a thing or the 5000 also could get hotter, or the new gauge is only for demonstration purpose?
And what about the "cooking box" is it same material, i presume that the old model is more heavy? Du you find yourself good with it?
I can't go just to check it, because it's 250km far from me, so if i go, i will buy it=)

I get really good quotation on 410 genesis 2, that why i came here to have some confrontation.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 10:28:27 AM »
The 5000 model originally came with 2 thermometers, one for meat and a second for the grill itself. Sounds like they have the meat thermo installed into the lid ;) They both look almost identical other than the face of the gauge itself. [emoji106]

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:31:31 AM by SixZeroFour »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »
Single Suction Stainless Steel for 5-8mm Glass Door Glass Pivot Clamps Door Hinges https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01460J5MS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_MFLvCb0FP9C3N

Here is some hardware you can try on amazon. Donno the thickness of the glass but you cam use this as a reference when doing a better search

Silvano

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 10:34:18 PM »
Thank you for help. About how hot can weber be, i found some information from weber site, referred to new line:
All Weber gas grills are designed to reach 500° - 550° F, with the burners set to high, and the lid closed, after about 10-15 minutes.
So the question is, the new model could reach that temperature up ti 550, as old one? Because the difference between the thermometers are pretty big, new series have 750F and the old genesis 550F.
I saw someone use weber briquettes on gas grill, is that a thing or just a bad diy modification?

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 05:15:24 AM »
Bad diy. Lol

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Genesis question
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 05:22:26 AM »
Do you have a Weber kettle?  Just plain old charcoal will yield great sear temps if that’s your main priority.

I don’t have any experience with those gas grills but I certainly wouldn’t gauge how hot one might get by how high the numbers go on the thermometer lol.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 05:24:17 AM by HoosierKettle »

Silvano

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 09:12:30 AM »
Do you have a Weber kettle?  Just plain old charcoal will yield great sear temps if that’s your main priority.
Yes, i have 2 kettle, one master touch 57 (as avatar) and a performer. That why i decise go with weber on gas (i had some experience with kamado, during summer vacancy, and i had broil king (german webers rival) but i was pretty disappointed.
Thats why i decided go with weber on gas.

I don’t have any experience with those gas grills but I certainly wouldn’t gauge how hot one might get by how high the numbers go on the thermometer lol.
hmmm i'm not sure to understand, the temp on the lid is the most important point of cooking on weber.
Some plate i'm cooking "feeling" the meat, but it's for quick t-bones/fiorentina(but you can start only when it's 600 F on the lid thermometer). If you are doing non direct/slow cooking, the temp is the most important thing on cooking, if you don't want to eat raw/dry meat, but it's IMHO.
That's the point why i would like to have gas, making 7 hours ribs/2 hour chicken/5 hours porchetta, it would be easier to put some chunks in smoker box rather that add briquettes and loosing heat/adding to much heat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Genesis question
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 09:33:06 AM »
I’m sure somebody who has used both old and new will speak up and shed some light on this.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:52:25 AM by HoosierKettle »