Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Early Genesis Manifold Question  (Read 1488 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Early Genesis Manifold Question
« on: January 27, 2019, 02:44:38 PM »

I recently scored this grill for $50.  It came with a new propane tank and line, but the propane was empty and the seller could not show that it worked.

Now that Have rescued it, time to start restoring.  I pulled the relevant information and was surprised that the grill was a natural gas model, even though the seller was using a propane tank to fuel it.

Here are closeups of the manifold and the orifice.  The orifice is stamped with 30 on the face:

So my question(s) - is this a natural gas setup that just happens to work with LP, or has the grill been "converted" to LP?

Thanks,

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Early Genesis Manifold Question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »
I have an old NG manifold in the shed. I'll pull it out tomorrow and we can compare it to yours.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 09:11:51 AM »
Do you still have one of these relics lying around?

I checked my old NG manifold and the orifices are bigger than the .040 wire, which is the thickest one.

I checked the orifices in my old Genesis II, and the .035 wire was the biggest that would fit. The same goes for an extra Silver C manifold I have taking up space.
None of my orifices have any size markings that I can find.

From what I have read, the manifold and valves are interchangeable. Orifice size (and the need for an LP regulator) are the differences.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 10:51:22 AM »
Its not just the orifices that are different the valves are different also they are variable and the LP were not.  I had a redhead nat gas a few years ago and really the best way to fix the situation is to find either a member or donor grill that has an LP manifold.  As JC pointed out the orifices in the Nat Gas Manifold are larger, if you had some 16 gauge wire they will fit in an NG orifice only an 18 gauge will fit in a LP orifice.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 11:15:36 AM »
Winz, I thought some of this sounded familiar, here is an old thread with a bunch of info. AZRaptor just reminded me of it.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=17926.0
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
I may have muddied the issue when I said continuous valves in the manifold as I have a Silver C also which does have those valves so let me clarify.

As JC linked that thread you can buy the orifices from that company you would obviously want them drilled they will make you buy a propane regulator or they will not drill them but understand this:

Your low will not be low and very little difference from that to medium not sure about the high setting and the reason is the 1000's had fixed valves basically a hole or whatever you want to call it for low, medium and high which are the stops on the manifold cover there is some adjustment in between obviously.  The reason is those holes in the internal brass valves have larger openings for nat gas just like the orifice is larger.  Same case on those holes in the propane valves they are smaller.

It will work can you learn to cook on it sure but IMO since I think it was like $47.00 for the orifices and regulator and you still will not have a setup that works the way it should and that hole picture that you showed on the orifice looks to be to large for LP they probably just hung a regulator on it but again if you have some 16 gauge wire and it fits then for sure they are NAT gas orifices.

There are many discussions on this on the other forum so don't take my word for it but what I did with my 1000 since that was nat gas was to buy a propane manifold as well as the tank scale bracket from another member as you really have a nice grill there so it is worth the money you can buy the new style tank scale for 30 bucks as its only 20 from Weber and 7 bucks for shipping but if that grill is registered as nat gas they won't sell you the tank scale maybe if you beg.

Put a buy and sell here and on the other forum sure someone will come up with something.  Then down the road there maybe be someone who wants to go to nat gas and you can sell that manifold.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 05:11:52 PM »
Winz, I thought some of this sounded familiar, here is an old thread with a bunch of info. AZRaptor just reminded me of it.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=17926.0

JC - perfect! 

I believe my current grill is set up for NG.  From the link you sent, I can convert it for the price of 3 new orifices and a regulator.

Now I just need to decide how I want to set it up.  I have an NG stub available but don't like the location on the patio.  May just go ahead and make it propane so I can move it anywhere I want.

Thanks,

Winz

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 05:16:11 PM »
I may have muddied the issue when I said continuous valves in the manifold as I have a Silver C also which does have those valves so let me clarify.

As JC linked that thread you can buy the orifices from that company you would obviously want them drilled they will make you buy a propane regulator or they will not drill them but understand this:

Your low will not be low and very little difference from that to medium not sure about the high setting and the reason is the 1000's had fixed valves basically a hole or whatever you want to call it for low, medium and high which are the stops on the manifold cover there is some adjustment in between obviously.  The reason is those holes in the internal brass valves have larger openings for nat gas just like the orifice is larger.  Same case on those holes in the propane valves they are smaller.

Great advice.  I took the valves apart tonight to clean them and see what you mean by the valve sizing.  It would seem senseless to put all that work into a restore, only to have the grill work sub optimally. 

Winz

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 05:40:32 PM »
To me senseless would be the correct word someone will come up with the manifold and the tank scale bracket then you can buy the tank scale which is what I did.  I think that is a Gen 2 which would put it into the 85-92 range.  Weber did not code the serial numbers for dates in those years that the grills were manufactured but some have found stickers that stated that this is not my information it was on the internet.

Well worth restoring especially because its a Redhead, the black lids really are disappointing the last three I got cause I am doing over a Silver C they all had the dreaded fade paid almost nothing for them so basically making the Silver restored out of a few grills.

Good luck post more pictures.

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 05:11:33 PM »
Winz, I tried to send you a PM your message box is full.  If a member here does not have that LP manifold here I just sold a nat gas to another member on the other forum he has an LP manifold and also the tank scale bracket.  I am pretty sure he still has it.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 07:17:23 PM »
Winz, I tried to send you a PM your message box is full.  If a member here does not have that LP manifold here I just sold a nat gas to another member on the other forum he has an LP manifold and also the tank scale bracket.  I am pretty sure he still has it.
PM sent!

Winz