Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal: Lump Issues vs. Brick Consistency  (Read 6675 times)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Charcoal: Lump Issues vs. Brick Consistency
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 06:26:21 PM »
Wow! Plenty of good info.
Thanks guys!
-JC

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »
I've been using Frontier too, and really enjoying it.  The pieces are a pretty consistent size-- no real huge chunks.  And not too many tiny pieces, either, but a big load of charcoal dust at the bottoms of the bags.  I'm guessing that is pretty common with lump.

I sprang for a bag of Wicked Good, and was not impressed-- huge pieces mixed in, and it tastes really smoky to me.  If I'm looking for smoke flavor, I'd prefer to add some chunks of alder, apple, cheery, oak, hickory, etc. according to my taste than some generic smoke flavor.  The Frontier is nice and neutral.

I've also tried the Trader Joe's (generic) brand, but not enough to have an educated opinion.  It's natural lump, but pressed into briquettes with a cornstarch binder, so will not give you the tiny pieces to fall through your grates. 
One of the charcoal people.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 05:17:47 AM »
Trader Joe's was changed at some point.  The stuff I bought last year isn't the same as what I bought the year before.  I haven't tried it this year because of how bad my last 5 bags were.  It doesn't burn as hot or as long as it did and leaves more ash.  I may try it again to see if they've improved, but I'll only buy one bag this time instead of a shopping cart full.

I've noticed some inconsistencies with Stubb's too, but it isn't nearly as pronounced.  I think it's about time to pick up a pallet of Kingsford during the next big sale.

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
Charcoal: Lump Issues vs. Brick Consistency
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 05:35:55 AM »
When I'm doing a "long" smoke I prefer to use the Wicked Good weekend warrior lump. Burns longer and helps me get into the hot n fast range much easier than kbb. But when I'm burning meat on a kettle I usually just go with the royal oak lump I can pick up all over out here. Like another said you gotta make sure it was made in the USA. Tried a bag of cowboy but it was only good for mini firework show.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
Stubb's in made in USA.  At least the two bags I have left say they are.