Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Circa 68-70 Wheel Question  (Read 1751 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Circa 68-70 Wheel Question
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »
The wheels on the avacado I bought are in good shape, but are held in place with old finishing nails drilled through the axel:

1) Were these axels ever drilled, or did somebody do that so they could insert the nails
2) More importantly, would a grill from 68-70 have come with unpainted metal hub caps? 

Brian had an earlier restore ( http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/old-kettle-restoration/  )that looked like this:

Are those period correct style caps from 1968-1970 as well?

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Circa 68-70 Wheel Question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
I've never seen any axle drilled like that.  Tap those out and get the ones Brian put on his!  It will look great, even though Im not 100 percent positive thats what belongs on your particular grill.

Kettle collector AND cooker!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »
Axel was not drilled out on my Wood Dale, you caps are period correct. Exactly what came off mine.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:13:32 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
Axel was not drilled out on my Wood Dale, you caps are period correct. Exactly what came off mine.

Can I see your Wood Dale? Is it posted here somewhere?

I have had about five grills of various years that were drilled and had a cotter pin holding the wheel on. I'm convinced Weber never used cotter pins and they were just done by handy guys that got tired of the wheel/wheels falling off.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:46:27 PM »

Can I see your Wood Dale? Is it posted here somewhere?

I have had about five grills of various years that were drilled and had a cotter pin holding the wheel on. I'm convinced Weber never used cotter pins and they were just done by handy guys that got tired of the wheel/wheels falling off.

Duke, I will take a picture. I have the triangle, legs and kettle cleaned. I have the wheel issue. I know it was all original, had the correct grate. I have the original hub caps that where metal and the 2 of the original thumb screws. Not the "U" ash tray... :(

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:18 PM »
Ive seen PATENT PENDING kettles with either metal or plastic hubcaps. The metal wheels look sweet with the metal hubcaps.  Never have seen nails or cotter pins in the axles before.  :-\

BTW, those whitewalls on that 'Cado look to be in great shape!  :D

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »
Thanks Craig. Since it is a patent pending, I guess I have a choice.  I have some black plastic weber caps, but i get the feeling I will be sourcing metal ones from the hardware store and putting them on.

The wheels are in Incredible shape,given the age of the grill.  I am doing a lite restore right now, and can not decide whether to simply clean the wheels up, or do the full paint job etc like Brians example in my original post.  Right now, I am leaning toward simply cleaning them with no repaint given the dings in the lid. It would almost be too jarring to have a pristine set of wheelson a lid with significant battle scars.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 10:00:34 PM »
Cool!

My .02 maybe just give the wheels a once over. I don't think those need painted. Avocado is another color I'm always in search of. Very nice score!!