Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thinking of selling my Craycort grates  (Read 2768 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Thinking of selling my Craycort grates
« on: June 06, 2013, 07:19:09 AM »
I have used regular hinged grates, BBQ system from Weber, craycort so I have seen a lot of different grates.  I have also owned a lot of kettles, I liked my cast iron with my performer but with a 3 legged kettle it seems like a pain.

Just trying to get a pulse of the team, should I hold or go back to hinged?  If I did I would be getting the actual SS version from Weber.

I own and use Grillgrates a lot so I am thinking I should be OK.

Thoughts?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

mwmac

• WKC Brave
Re: Thinking of selling my Craycort grates
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:11:15 AM »
Whatever works for you should be your guide.  Sounds a little like you miss your performer.  I have Craycorts and hinged ss grates on my performers and would not change a thing...to each his own
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:17 AM »
@ mwmac -- is that because you wouldn't want 2 Craycourts or 2 hinged SS grates?

No experience with anything but the standard grate here. The hinged grate that came with my old Performer last week needs to be replaced and so I'm considering alternatives and can't yet decide.

I'm intrigued by the center section Weber system grate (and similar Stok system) but that seems to limit charcoal to the center and rely on the edges for indirect--always. Also, I don't see a stainless steel option there. Should I care? Is the Weber system cast iron enameled like Stok's cast iron, and if so what's the implication good/bad there regarding finish durability?

The hinged SS grate at $40 is probably the most versatile overall for something that should last a long time with minimal maintenance. Since money's tight I'll probably head that way as a compromise for not getting cast iron ... unless a *cough* "grate" deal comes along *cough*.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:14:05 AM »
@ mwmac -- is that because you wouldn't want 2 Craycourts or 2 hinged SS grates?

No experience with anything but the standard grate here. The hinged grate that came with my old Performer last week needs to be replaced and so I'm considering alternatives and can't yet decide.

I'm intrigued by the center section Weber system grate (and similar Stok system) but that seems to limit charcoal to the center and rely on the edges for indirect--always. Also, I don't see a stainless steel option there. Should I care? Is the Weber system cast iron enameled like Stok's cast iron, and if so what's the implication good/bad there regarding finish durability?

The hinged SS grate at $40 is probably the most versatile overall for something that should last a long time with minimal maintenance. Since money's tight I'll probably head that way as a compromise for not getting cast iron ... unless a *cough* "grate" deal comes along *cough*.

Funny, shipping from MI to ATL would be a mint, if you were local I would cut you a deal for sure.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »
Why do I have to choose
& see everybody lose
To walk around and sing the blues
well darling I refuse

Love is hard to find
love of any kind
And a love like yours and mine
creates it's own design
So why do I have to choose
see everybody lose
To walk around and sing the blues
well darling I refuse

In other words, keep them, and get the hinged grates. I love having extras and flexibility.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »
Likely be that way for anyone, LightningBoldtz; you might be limited to offering it locally. On the other hand it might be something a limited, local craigslist audience might not know what to do with.

Do you remember what it cost to ship to you when you bought it? Just for giggles determine a few sample shipping rates at either usps.com, ups.com or fedex.com to some random zip codes (like 30189 -- just one off the top of my head, heh). That will let you know if you can afford to let it go cheap.

Craycort ships/offers it for sale at Amazon (among other places) and Amazon's cart shows $16 shipping. According to craycort.com they are located in NV, not exactly next door.

Doesn't matter, I prolly can't afford "none of it." LOL. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 11:11:28 AM »
My Craycorts were shipped from Naperville or near that area if I remember correctly. I thought Vegas too but the postal tags originated in Illinois and I received them in about 2 days.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 12:45:24 PM »
My 2cts is to keep the CI grates and get the SS grates, so as to have some versitality in how you cook something.  I have the Stok grates and like them so far, however i have to plan my fuel load and hot spots a little bit closer. To me that is no big deal( i got the Stok grate because of the inserts they have) as i have a "few" grills  ::) ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......