Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old vs New Debate  (Read 1987 times)

Rpowell16

• Happy Cooker
Old vs New Debate
« on: January 10, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »
Hey Guys....So I'm somewhat new to the forum and wanted some input from the "pros". I was lucky enough to inherit an Performer in Grass Green. The lid was pretty beat up, massive dent where the handle meets the lid (causing the vent to not be flush anymore to the lid), multiple chips and several abrasions all over. I called Weber to see if it was under warranty and it was 6mo. out so i decided to buy a new lid that they still had in stock. Since i didn't have anything into the grill i figured $120 for a EZ Performer in a rare color wasn't all that bad.

1. Am i crazy for holding onto the old lid or does it help the grill hold "value" down the road for resale?
[/img][/img]
2. Since the "taco" can me removed, do you like it better with or without it?
[/img]
Searching for: Gen 1 SSP Blue, Red Mist, or Red

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
Re: Old vs New Debate
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »
Welcome aboard. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would hold on to all the parts if it were me. The replacement top may be the same color but it is not the same year. I have a 1992 red head  gen 1 SS performer that I use as my daily driver for low and slows. My high heat cooking is done on a newer black grill. Keep your eyes open for an original grass green kettle. You never know what will pop up.
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 01:41:32 PM »
I would fix that dent and get rid of the new lid if it were me. Someone on here posted a thread on how to use a bowling ball to correct the dent. I place a softball on the dented area and hit it with a dead blow or other suitable mallet with the lid resting on a plastic bucket. The softball is the only thing in contact with the lid. You may lose a little more porcelain in the process but it will work.

Others with more experience popping out dents will hopefully chime in.

That thermometer is superior to the modern ones imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 04:05:06 PM »
You already bought the replacement lid. I would just use the new taco lid. It will look much better and more enjoyment cooking on is what I am thinking. I had a similar situation with my Gen 2 Grass Green. I did not like the porcelain loss around where I pop the dent so I got the replacement lid. Up to you if you want to save the old lid, but for me I pulled off the lid handle assy and used it for other project.

I would prefer the correct gen lid, but given the choice... a brand new taco lid for me. Most people don't care or know which Gen. anyways. So, no real value added or lost either way. I am thinking you would get better resale value with a new lid.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 06:52:58 PM »
Fix the dent the best you can and use it for cooking pizza.

Rpowell16

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 07:31:38 AM »
So i took a rubber mallet to the lid and the dents popped out nicely. I'm sure this is going to be the first of many tricks learned in this forum. I think I'm going to send back the new "taco" lid and just roll with the original one that it came with. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and this old lid will make me feel less guilty if/when something else happens, you all know something is bound to happen down the road. I think I'll invest the $120 into another grill instead of a new lid!

Rpowell16

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »
You already bought the replacement lid. I would just use the new taco lid. It will look much better and more enjoyment cooking on is what I am thinking. I had a similar situation with my Gen 2 Grass Green. I did not like the porcelain loss around where I pop the dent so I got the replacement lid. Up to you if you want to save the old lid, but for me I pulled off the lid handle assy and used it for other project.

I would prefer the correct gen lid, but given the choice... a brand new taco lid for me. Most people don't care or know which Gen. anyways. So, no real value added or lost either way. I am thinking you would get better resale value with a new lid.
Yeah i guess that was my thought initially is the new lid would attract a buyer willing to spend a little more for the "clean look". My guess is people outside of forums like this wouldn't know that it was an older generation lid, they'd just be purchasing it for the color and the simple fact that it looks well maintained.

Rpowell16

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 08:13:31 AM »
Hey Guys....So I'm somewhat new to the forum and wanted some input from the "pros". I was lucky enough to inherit an Performer in Grass Green. The lid was pretty beat up, massive dent where the handle meets the lid (causing the vent to not be flush anymore to the lid), multiple chips and several abrasions all over. I called Weber to see if it was under warranty and it was 6mo. out so i decided to buy a new lid that they still had in stock. Since i didn't have anything into the grill i figured $120 for a EZ Performer in a rare color wasn't all that bad.

1. Am i crazy for holding onto the old lid or does it help the grill hold "value" down the road for resale?
[/img][/img]
2. Since the "taco" can me removed, do you like it better with or without it?
[/img]
Did i say EZ, cause i meant DZ!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 08:21:11 AM »

Did i say EZ, cause i meant DZ!
Thanks for this clarification... I almost thought you discovered a new color for the Gen1 performers. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/grills/weber-performer-history/

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »

Yeah i guess that was my thought initially is the new lid would attract a buyer willing to spend a little more for the "clean look". My guess is people outside of forums like this wouldn't know that it was an older generation lid, they'd just be purchasing it for the color and the simple fact that it looks well maintained.

If you can return the new lid and you are ok with the original somewhat less perfect lid.... by all means, do what makes you happy.  I just did not think that was an option for you or asked question. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/gen-ii-performer-appreciation-thread/

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:36:02 PM by greenweb »