Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Using a remote thermometer on a rotisserie  (Read 2417 times)

Cellar2ful

Using a remote thermometer on a rotisserie
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »

Also an inexpensive easy mod for a Thermoworks Smoke to attach to the rotisserie handle.

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2019/01/08/using-a-remote-thermometer-on-a-rotisserie/
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Using a remote thermometer on a rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:55:30 PM »
Brilliant.

I use a igrill mini, held on with rubber bands. The Smoke is a much better unit. Great idea to use the magnets, so much nicer than tape.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:26:58 AM »
That’s awesome. Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:40:37 AM »
Awesome
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »

One side note regarding the article.  The bushing I have been using on my rotisserie for this mod, came from no brand name gas rotisserie.  I have been trying to order a similar one  and have so far ordered two different sized bushings.  One was to small for the probe wire to pass through while on the spit and the other is a massive 1/2" monster.  I believe I have the correct size currently being shipped to me.  Once I receive it and confirm it is the correct size, I will update my article with a link for purchase and also update this thread. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:43:35 AM by Cellar2ful »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 08:15:59 AM »
Very helpful post, Cellar2ful!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 11:23:26 AM »
That is awesome. I was going to order a "meater" but I will try this first. Found my single channel Igrill. Thought it was long gone. Going to mount it on my gasser rotisserie.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:35:23 AM by jacko1962 »
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 05:36:13 PM »
Good thinking!  Thanks for sharing Jim!!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 02:27:12 PM »
I do basically the same thing with my Maverick.  Thinking about spinning a Pork Loin Roast this weekend.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 08:53:58 PM »

One side note regarding the article.  The bushing I have been using on my rotisserie for this mod, came from no brand name gas rotisserie.  I have been trying to order a similar one  and have so far ordered two different sized bushings.  One was to small for the probe wire to pass through while on the spit and the other is a massive 1/2" monster.  I believe I have the correct size currently being shipped to me.  Once I receive it and confirm it is the correct size, I will update my article with a link for purchase and also update this thread.

I use this one successfully:

Gas Grill Rotisserie Spit Rod Bushing 5/16" BU-1B https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JVQ2LY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i2TnCbR46REC4

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 08:17:05 AM »

Gas Grill Rotisserie Spit Rod Bushing 5/16" BU-1B https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JVQ2LY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i2TnCbR46REC4

I ordered, received and tested the 5/16"  BU-1B bushing when writing the article.  When I threaded my probe wire through it and slid it onto the spit rod, the fit was to tight for my liking.  It really pinched the probe wire tightly.  It was so tight that I really had to force the bushing up the rod and was afraid of damaging the probe wire.  I have a 3/8" size bushing that is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (Friday).  My expectation is that the slightly larger size will be a better fit. 

I have found that not all spit rods are the exact same size.  I have three Weber branded spit rods and visually appear to be the same size. The 5/16" (BU-1B) bushing fit to tight for my liking on two of the rods.  The other rod was not quite as tight.  You may have a spit rod like that is a smidge smaller, allowing room for the probe wire.   

I want to make sure when I post a link for purchase, that the bushing will have plenty of space to allow for the small difference in spit rod sizes. 

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 10:00:40 AM »
I wonder if there is perhaps not a standard for the rod size, and they are sourced from different suppliers.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 06:10:24 AM »

I ordered, received and tested the 5/16"  BU-1B bushing when writing the article.  When I threaded my probe wire through it and slid it onto the spit rod, the fit was to tight for my liking.  It really pinched the probe wire tightly.  It was so tight that I really had to force the bushing up the rod and was afraid of damaging the probe wire.  I have a 3/8" size bushing that is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (Friday).  My expectation is that the slightly larger size will be a better fit. 

I have found that not all spit rods are the exact same size.  I have three Weber branded spit rods and visually appear to be the same size. The 5/16" (BU-1B) bushing fit to tight for my liking on two of the rods.  The other rod was not quite as tight.  You may have a spit rod like that is a smidge smaller, allowing room for the probe wire.   

I want to make sure when I post a link for purchase, that the bushing will have plenty of space to allow for the small difference in spit rod sizes.

I use that bushing on all of my spits, 3xweber and a couple other brands (I like the Weber best, of course.). One thing I do is make sure that the wire is at 3 or 9 o’clock relative to the screw’s 12 o’clock. I’m concerned that it may get pinched under the screw or on the opposite side.

It works on all of my spits, with the wire able to freely slide back and forth under the bushing and not pinched.

I have not noticed a difference between the sizes of my spits, they all seem to be the same size and fit into the motor with the same amount of play.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:15:44 AM by ClubChapin »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 03:12:04 PM »

Ok, looks like it's the 5/16" rotisserie bushing (BU-1B) will be the one to use. 

Amazon link for purchase -  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JVQ2LY?tag=viglink21354-20

@ClubChapin  - The probe wire placement trick of 3 or 9 o'clock relative to the screw's 12 o'clock does help. 

Here's a photo of all the bushings I tried.   From the left to right :  1/2"    3/8"    5/16"     5/16" (BU-1B)   The 1/2" and  3/8" bushings are to big to fit into the slot of the rotisserie ring. 

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »
Here is my set up on the CB Roti for my 26er:

Getting ready to spin a small pork loin roast.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna