Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My grill restore  (Read 4667 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
My grill restore
« on: June 05, 2013, 04:06:01 PM »
Well I am going to begin the process of restoring my mid 1960's grill that I got from a sweet lady on Saturday - for Free.  Discussion here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/looky-what-i-got-for-free/

Handle from Brian is on the way

Metal handles are on very tight with some light rust

Took steel wool to it, there are some very sticky stuff that is going to take some elbow grease, also got the handle off and waiting for new one.

Here's where I get nervous, the wheels and legs.  I don't want to take it apart lest something breaks.
Should I flip the triangle?

Best way to get these wheels off, just pop off the end caps?

You pros out there help me out I am a novice restorer.  I fix up, I flip, I have not restored.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My grill restore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 04:22:57 PM »
Somebody will correct me but I agree with you, it appears as if the end caps could just be popped off and replaced with new ones of some kind. Gotta be at least one thread here about cleaning those wheels. Wire wheel on a drill perhaps, to get into the contours and then repaint?

Nice grill. I've seen far newer far worse.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »
Somebody will correct me but I agree with you, it appears as if the end caps could just be popped off and replaced with new ones of some kind. Gotta be at least one thread here about cleaning those wheels. Wire wheel on a drill perhaps, to get into the contours and then repaint?

Nice grill. I've seen far newer far worse.

Probably not a wire wheel, think it would maybe scratch it up too much.....Brian (Zavod) put up a thing about some 'rust disintegrator' stuff that won't harm the rubber....

Here it is....Pg. 2

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/wood-dale-wheel-help/15/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
Oh wow that's even better than whatever other thread I'd read.

Some links:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96431.html
http://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Rust-Remover-1-Gal/dp/B001BO1DGY

and there appear to be other sizes, etc. available
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »
Yeah, Brian has been coaching me a little bit on what to do with the wheels. 

One more thing
Is this an old style charcoal grate or just bent?

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »
It's both, old style charcoal grate and its bent
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 07:06:31 PM »
You are on a tool! You have easy fixes. New charcoal grate will fit fine. Us Dag's mettle fir the wheels or send them to me for my Wood Dale. :)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »
You can get exact replacement caps at Lowes or Ace....nice fresh chrome ones ....and yes for the love of all that's holy flip that triangle!
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X