Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question About the Porcelain Finish on a Weber Kettle  (Read 836 times)

JCT3

• Happy Cooker
Question About the Porcelain Finish on a Weber Kettle
« on: December 27, 2018, 12:48:45 PM »
I primarily use a Weber 22-1/2 inch Weber Kettle for grilling.  It is only a few years old and is in good shape.  If I bank hot charcoal against the sides for indirect cooking, will that damage the porcelain finish on the exterior of the grill?

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: Question About the Porcelain Finish on a Weber Kettle
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 01:10:04 PM »
A lot of people believe that is why so many of the older ones that are a color other than black are chipped & pock-marked.

For whatever reason, you tend not to see the black ones in as bad of shape.  Maybe they don't get damaged as easily, or maybe they just tend to get scrapped quicker than the other colors when they get all pock marked.

Personally, I probably wouldn't do it unless the kettle was already pretty roached or if it was basically a common black one of no interesting vintage.

regards,
Hal

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 01:12:45 PM »
Hi,
I would say yes it could cause damage.
There are a lot of kettles with a strange spider web design.

Check this out!
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/high-temps-porcelain-damage-related-questions/msg367935/#msg367935
Best regards,
Jan

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Question About the Porcelain Finish on a Weber Kettle
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 01:54:31 PM »
I wouldn’t worry about it. I have a couple that I have banked coals in for ten years heavy use. I’ve had 900 degree pizza cooks using banked coals. Still not a scratch on my black kettles. My 25 year old and older kettles had a little bit of cracking and missing porcelain when I acquired them. I don’t bank in those to try and preserve them as long as I can. 

I consider newer kettles consumable so I don’t worry about damage especially when I know that they will still last 15 plus years even when neglected and abused.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 01:57:25 PM by HoosierKettle »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 07:30:15 AM »
The theory is that the different layers will heat and cool at different rates (black is the first layer) at the grate straps or were you bank the coals and the porcelain will pop at those places.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 08:07:10 PM »
My performer is 16+ yrs old...I am the original owner...it has pockmarks on 2 sides of the grill from high heat banking...still use it, but wish I knew then what I know now....baskets will save your sides...it was when I was too cheap to replace my baskets that the damage occurred.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Vinnybaggadonuts

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 05:42:53 PM »
Live and learn....

Vinny