Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Word of caution regarding Performer metal table hardware  (Read 963 times)

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
Word of caution regarding Performer metal table hardware
« on: August 25, 2019, 02:01:46 PM »
When I purchased the metal table upgrade for my Performer it came with 4 black screws to install. At the time I thought cool, that's a nice touch.

Fast forward a year and they're so rusted the rust spread to the table. I took them out and replaced with stainless. 1/4-20 x 1 1/4 truss head. I chased the rusted threads with WD-40 and applied antiseize to the new bolts. If you're intent on using the black screws I suppose you could use nail polish and antiseize.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Word of caution regarding Performer metal table hardware
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 02:13:30 PM »
Damn, thanks for the heads up. I hate rust!

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 06:24:16 AM »
I hate that they use those black screws, They should be stainless. I also don't understand why they don't use a flat top screw instead of the dome shape.
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 07:31:46 PM »
I noticed mine are starting to rust, was going to replace them with SS...it just got moved to top priority!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 08:00:03 AM »
It sure would be less annoying if they started using stainless, but I doubt they ever will.

For one it is just cheaper to use the other hardware. And two they want the kettle to get rusty so you are motivated to buy another one in X years. 

I might check mine on my current gen to see what it looks like. If I have the screws laying around I will probably do the swap.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Word of caution regarding Performer metal table hardware
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 08:58:26 AM »
Never had any issues with the screws but those tables are cheaply made. Of the 8 gen4 that i picked up the past  3 years, 5 of the tables were rusting. It rust from the inside out causing the paint to bubble both on the top and bottom. Appears that the metal wasn't prepared properly before the top coats were applied.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 11:53:19 AM »
So the problem could just as easily be the tables causing the screws to rust.  Well I guess if you want something completely rust free you will need to bring it into a temperature and humidity controlled environment! Haha. 

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 12:13:59 PM »
Pretty sure there screw is the culprit. On mine anyway. Table looks brand new except for where the screw started rusting and I let it go too long.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app