Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: coffee talk (including accessories)  (Read 2244 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
coffee talk (including accessories)
« on: November 28, 2018, 09:50:36 PM »
ok so instead of hijacking the reveil thread we can talk about all things coffee here!!!

Deathwish is all i drink unless im desprite. nit ginna lie mccafe and seattles best are good if you doctor them up with sugar and creamer. but deathwish is good just straight black.

whats your cup of choice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: coffee talk (including accessories)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 01:35:38 AM »
My wife and I can go through a lot, so price per pound is a factor. I hate spending more than $6/lb, but I know there are better coffees out there for more. Think KBB vs. Weber. Death wish looks like $16/lb.  If you mention a coffee, it would help to mention the $/lb too. (And I will pick up some DW for the weekends/holidays)
Retired

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 02:46:41 AM »
I like Community coffee brand, ground dark roast is my fav, bounces between 5 and 6/lb great cup black or however you prefer. They have a lot of blends and whole bean as well I have not been disappointed in any of there product. They have a neat military match program that we have done a few times as well, makes for a feel good cup of coffee knowing somewhere out there our men and woman who are serving get to enjoy a good cup on my dime.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 03:42:30 AM »
I like Community coffee brand, ground dark roast is my fav, bounces between 5 and 6/lb great cup black or however you prefer. They have a lot of blends and whole bean as well I have not been disappointed in any of there product. They have a neat military match program that we have done a few times as well, makes for a feel good cup of coffee knowing somewhere out there our men and woman who are serving get to enjoy a good cup on my dime.

Is this readily available or something you order? 

We generally drink the cheap stuff since we go through a lot of it.

Something fun to try is the cowboy Kent Rollins method. I was amazed you can make coffee with nothing more than a pot or kettle with regular grind coffee.

He has a YouTube video on it. Basically I take one of those blue porcelain speckled coffee kettles like you use camping and you fill it and get it boiling. You add regular grind coffee and let it boil for a bit then turn the burner off. You than add a splash of cold water and the grinds all fall to the bottom of the pot. It actually works well. I can’t say it tastes any better then a coffee maker but it is helpful if your coffee maker breaks or your camping and do not have another means.

My lack of interest in fancy gadgets carries over into my coffee making too [emoji12]

https://youtu.be/tq7Si7cp2jM

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 03:46:00 AM by HoosierKettle »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 04:31:39 AM »
@HoosierKettle Community coffee is available here in Atlanta at all the major stores, you can also buy direct online, that is where you can do the Military match thing. Tami buys what's on sale, occasionally I go to the store for little items and my coffee jumps in the cart
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 05:40:21 AM »
We love trying new coffees.

My daily driver is currently Pete's (Major Dickason's or Holiday Blend) or Kirkland (Starbucks) blends.
I've been checking out some cold-pressed recently and am really enjoying those...especially in the summertime.

Some of my all-time favorites producers:

-Green Star Coffee (out of Santa Barbara). I used to go here and get coffee in person back when it was just a small little start-up. The owner even loaned me a french press so I could cold press some of his coffees. I brought it back to him along with a Green Star coffee-infused beer I made. I buy it whenever I'm in the area. I get it mailed whenever I'm not. Ethiopian Yerg is where it's at! They make a really strong one called "Firehouse" that is worth checking out if French Roast isn't cutting it for you! $16lb

-Intelligentsia. I fell in love with this in Chicago. So much so I had to call the restaurant and ask which Intelligentsia blend they used (House French Roast). I like that I can buy this at Target now. $12-20 12oz/lb

-Modern Times. I followed them when they just opened their brewery and concurrently started doing coffee as well. Bought some of their barrel-aged coffee a while back...it's rad. It looks like they only have bourbon-barrel aged coffee currently. They used to use different barrels to achieve different results. I had a rum-barrel aged coffee from them that smelled like overwhelmingly like blueberries. It was trippy. $15lb for regular/$20 1/2lb for barrel aged.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:42:42 AM by Mike in Roseville »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »
Lately I’ve been drinking Starbucks beans, veranda blend. Blonde

I usually buy 5 bags when it’s $6 instead of $9
(12oz bags I believe)

I prefer fresh roasted from Whole Foods. I can usually get get a few pounds of great single origin beans for about $10/pound

I just don’t like going to Whole Foods

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:06:11 PM by Troy »

JPotter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 03:33:26 PM »
I drink good coffee every morning . I use a French press and a burr grinder and a scale to weigh proper water to coffee ratio . There's a lot of great coffee company's . I have a lot here locally in CA. Verve, Ritual, Blue bottle, Equator , Peerless , the list goes on . The thing that's awesome about coffee is trying all the different kinds . I try n stick to single origin beans . Kona and Jamaican blue is amazing but there are other amazing coffees . They do get pricey but worth the money . Life's too short to drink canned stuff lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »
as for brewing methods, my preference is pourover

but i haven't mastered the technique (or developed the patience)

I also like moka pot and french press, but prefer less oil in my coffee

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 07:40:57 PM »
i use a coffee ninja. and when im out of filters i french press

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 09:30:50 PM »
I like fancy coffee but I find that it has to be brewed in a few days after roasting otherwise the aromatics tend to mellow out. I prefer the lighter roasts from Ethiopia and Guatamala that are fruity, sweet, and only mildly oily. I'd rather drink diner or Dunkin' Donuts-style coffee than some of the fancy dark roasts as my bitter taste buds get overwhelmed easily. Don't get me wrong, I love Dunkin' Donut's coffee too. While I like the coffee from Intelligentsia, Stumptown, Ritual, etc., those beans approach $20-24 a lb and the beans aren't fresh anymore by the time I can drink it. Blue Bottle is my premium go to as their beans and roasts suit my pallete and they are easy to get freshly roasted. I don't buy single origin beans that often because I don't see the value for myself, but I will order a single origin cup once in a while to try something different.

Lately I've been drinking Counter Culture Coffee which does a good job with the lighter Ethiopian/Guatamalan beans, locally roasted with a roasted on date on the bag, and a little bit cheaper than the other stuff above. I brew mainly with a pourover cone but I will dabble with aeropress and chemex for larger batches.

@Troy made me one of the best cold brew's I've ever had.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

thisthatandyourmom

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 07:53:15 AM »
Do yourself a favor. Get a Behmor, Hottop, or Gene Cafe. You can buy them as well as green beans at the Sweet Maria’s website. You’ll never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 12:31:47 PM »
I used to be a bit of a coffee hound...could be again one day when I've got money again.

my preferred method is pour over as well. I use a chemex with a metal filter that has tens of thousands of micro preforations. I don't use a brand name kettle...got this 1L bubble with a very long goose neck spout that allows for a lot more control than than the more popular kettles like the Hario and Bonavita.

I do like french press...have a really nice unit, cost a small fortune, but it's SS, double walled and not glass, so was worth it in my books.

I also have a Bodum vacuum pot, which is fun to use, but the plastic handle gets really weak when it's heated up, so one day I expect it to fail sometime and makes me nervous :P

I had an aeropress, didn't like it.

and for the coupe de tat, my grinder is a Baratza Vario.  :)
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 07:04:02 AM »
I used to drink coffee when I went out of town to work, but my wife doesnt like it, so I never make it at home. We recently stopped drinking pop with caffeine, because I'm pretty sure it was causing us to have headaches if we didn't drink it again the next day. Not sure if the caffeine was really the problem, but it seems like the headaches have went away.

All this talk about coffee does have me craving a big cup, with milk and a lot of sugar

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 07:51:39 AM »
Sugar High will crash you and cause headaches just sayin" LOL