Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone know what an XX or XXI is?  (Read 1738 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Anyone know what an XX or XXI is?
« on: November 23, 2018, 03:28:06 PM »
Picked these up from Ramsfan, and the box mentions the XX and XXI. News to me. Anyone have a clue?
Retired

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Anyone know what an XX or XXI is?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 04:03:29 PM »
Picked these up from Ramsfan, and the box mentions the XX and XXI. News to me. Anyone have a clue?

Per this...

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/behind-the-grill/the-evolution-of-the-gas-grill/weber-29896.html

...XX and XXI were the Genesis 4 and 5.    Interesting to find out the the gas Go Anywhere was originally called the Hot Shot.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Anyone know what an XX or XXI is?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 02:43:58 AM »
Thanks @Bob BQ - too bad they can't use the right pics in that writeup. I would like to see the early catalogs showing the X-grills. This is the earliest ad I've send for what became the Genesis. No names mentioned at all, just "The New Weber Gas Barbeque". They keep using that pic for 1985 that shows a much later model with the wire-formed bottom shelf and narrow slats on the side table. That's just wrong!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 03:58:06 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 03:19:56 PM »
Hey Marty,

I just bought a JR from the original owner.  He had the owners manual still in plastic which he gave to me.  Apparently, a JR can be on XXI as well - check out the cover.

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 03:37:00 PM »
Hmmm...I don’t have any idea. Could it be a reference to natural gas vs. propane? XX = NG, XXI = LP? Does the manual have assembly instructions? Would love to see a scan.

Marty
Retired

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 07:17:07 AM »
Hey Marty,

I just bought a JR from the original owner.  He had the owners manual still in plastic which he gave to me.  Apparently, a JR can be on XXI as well - check out the cover.

Winz

Nice pickup, @Winz!  What color hood is on your Jr?  Post some pics when you get a chance!

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »
Hmmm...I don’t have any idea. Could it be a reference to natural gas vs. propane? XX = NG, XXI = LP? Does the manual have assembly instructions? Would love to see a scan.

Marty

Ask and you shall receive!  The last page is an insert that gives more detail to page 12 in the manual.  It was a separate, white sheet of paper

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/m17ifevwxaybzvu/Gen%20JR%20Manual.pdf?dl=0

Winz

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »

Nice pickup, @Winz!  What color hood is on your Jr?  Post some pics when you get a chance!

It is a redhead.  In pretty good shape when I picked it up.  Completely torn apart right now - undergoing a good restoration.  Here is the "before" picture

Winz

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 05:59:25 PM »
What a great find that is and a Redhead to boot really nice looking grill.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 06:50:54 PM »

It is a redhead.  In pretty good shape when I picked it up.  Completely torn apart right now - undergoing a good restoration.  Here is the "before" picture

Winz

Very cool. That looks to be a solid grill. Looking forward to seeing it restored! Thanks for scanning the manual, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 05:56:15 AM »

By the late ‘80s, the Genesis XX and XXI (later known as Genesis Jr., Genesis 4 and Genesis 5 were born, giving more options in size and design, including glass doors on the 4 and 5 models and various upgrades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!