Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib Prep Questions  (Read 2042 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Rib Prep Questions
« on: June 04, 2013, 12:53:36 AM »
I picked this rack of beef ribs from my butcher today
They were $2.99lb and this is a 6lb rack
I've never bought such a thick rack before and was after some tips on prepping them
I've removed the silver skin from the bone side and was wondering what to do with the rest of it
I plan on applying a rub to them and then into the kettle for a bit of Low and slow magic

I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
Re: Rib Prep Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 02:27:54 AM »
When I make big racks of ribs I prep the same as any other size.  I apply something sticky like mustard that the rub can stick to then cover it with rub.  If you haven't already, get you some simply marvelous peppered cow or Plowboys bovine bold.  Both will make beef explode with yummy goodness. 

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Rib Prep Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »
That's a great rack! I'd probably just go with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper and let all that beef do the talking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:54:04 AM »

That'sa heckuva slab !!!!

When I do luck out & get a big rack 'o' beef, I try to find a big piece of charcoal to cook it with.....Exmp.:

That's a 3-bone short plate............

But seriously, you did the hard part, there's that 1st membrane & there's a second one that's not worth the trouble.....or you may have already gotten that one, your's look pretty well cleared.....

I go mostly straightforward like Eastex is saying, or if the stuff Chris is talking about is available, check that out...

Other ideas: I make little shallow cuts, just nicks, all over the fatcap side & it seems to get the rendering going a little better.................

These ones also got the unsweetened cocoa powder after S&P& a little garlic powder.....

Oh & one last thing I remember from having gooned out  before.....don't rush it on beef ribs, do them when there's time toallow for getting them tender.....you can foil with broth near the end,
B. ribs is one time I don't mind doing that......

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:24:43 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:08:24 AM »
i cant take this any more!!!  i've got a few big racks like this in my freezer that i got from restaurant depot a while back.  i'm gonna have to cook them REAL soon!!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 08:14:15 AM »
That is a fine looking rack!!

Here is a thread of mine from another forum. Just one way of doing them. Turned out delicious!

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=541791

And, 1buckie is right .... "don't rush it on beef ribs". I like to look for bone recede after about 4 hours.

I want to see finished pics of this ... please!!  :D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
Thanks for all the tips guys
I will try scoring the fat cap and I might try brining them too
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution