Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gen JR  (Read 2574 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Gen JR
« on: November 02, 2018, 06:52:55 AM »
I have always been intrigued with this classic grill. As we know, not many parts available for these guys. To bad, built better than the new IMHO.
Well what does one do when you can't get burners? I came into a free G1000. Was good for a parts machine, as I already have a 5000 series.
Burners were fine, as some other parts. Tubes are the similar, just the 1000 are quite a bit longer. One of the JR tubes was good for dimensions.
I spoke to the local WKC welder on staff, said he would give it a shot. On Sunday I finally got back to this project that had been in the wings forever.
Welds were spot on. FYI, crossover is the same as Gen Series.

Not a total restore, as it is a cooker, not in bad shape.
Thanks rcplanebuyer!

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
Re: Gen JR
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 07:47:52 AM »
Nicely done! I've got one in Tucson that I look forward to using very soon. :-)
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 08:53:13 AM »
Nicely done! I've got one in Tucson that I look forward to using very soon. :-)

Thanks @Dale Benson ! I have two more, but I'm only going to be able to make
one of them operational with parts on hand.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »
Good to see one in action...this is the only gasser I'm interested in.  I've had two slip through my fingers.  Thanks for the info on burner tubes!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 05:48:40 PM »
The jr is my favorite of all gennys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 04:16:11 AM »
Great looking Jr. I love these little gassers. Really nice design when Weber gassers were built like tanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:44:48 AM »
Excellent mod @glrasmussen.  I assume the welder just cut out part of the middle and welded the ends together?  Wish we had a "local WKC welder on staff" here in StL...  :P
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »
Excellent mod @glrasmussen.  I assume the welder just cut out part of the middle and welded the ends together?  Wish we had a "local WKC welder on staff" here in StL...  :P

@Bob BQ , correct a few inches. Look at the bottom side of the first picture, you should be able to see the weld.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »
I have 2 sets of brand new NOS Weber cooking grates for the Weber Genesis Jr. if anyone is interested? Asking $20 + shipping. These sets are brand new, never used, and still in the original Weber packaging (from the late 1980's-early 1990's I believe). If you have a Genesis Jr. and you plan on keeping it for a while, it would be well worth $20 to have an extra set on hand of the one part of the grill that does all the work and takes most of the abuse, especially since they don't make these anymore. Just my opinion of course...
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
PM sent.
Retired

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 03:20:23 PM »
I have 2 sets of brand new NOS Weber cooking grates for the Weber Genesis Jr. if anyone is interested? Asking $20 + shipping. These sets are brand new, never used, and still in the original Weber packaging (from the late 1980's-early 1990's I believe). If you have a Genesis Jr. and you plan on keeping it for a while, it would be well worth $20 to have an extra set on hand of the one part of the grill that does all the work and takes most of the abuse, especially since they don't make these anymore. Just my opinion of course...
Still got a set? This just happened

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 11:37:47 PM »

One set has been spoken for. Still have the other set available.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 08:12:35 AM »

One set has been spoken for. Still have the other set available.
Sending message

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 09:24:50 AM »
I'm excited to see this restoration!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 07:47:47 PM »
Nice to see you, @glrasmussen! I've built genesis jr. burners for @LightningBoldtz before using standard genesis burners and standard hand tools. I simply crimped/cut the burner to length then drilled a hole for the cross burner tube. You'll love using the jr.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791